TechSpot

AMD FX CPU either not reporting temps right or coolest CPU ever

By lp670sv
Mar 30, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hey guys a couple weeks back I got an AMD-FX 8120 cpu for my new build and have had....well I wouldn't really call it a problem. I know this thing is supposed to be seriously overclockable, that's one of the reason I bought it but it just seems like the temps I'm getting CAN'T be real. I have it overclocked to 4.0 GHz right now with the stock cooler and after running Prime 95 for 12 hours with 4 different temp monitors running the highest reading I got on any of them was only 63 degrees Celsius. That's an .8 ghz overclock with only increase the temps by 3 degrees. Something is wrong with my sensor right? I mean the thing Idles at around 21 degrees which is just above room temp for me so that makes sense but I just feel like with the overclocking I've done and not changing the stock fan and heatsink it should be higher. I'm not using the AMD overdrive software I turned that off and increased the multiplier so it's not that it's shutting cores down or anything all 8 cores are running at 4.0 ghz and it's ridiculously cool for the amount of overclocking with everything being stocked. I plan to go higher on the overclock once I get a new cooler but if the sensor is off I don't want to go much higher and risk frying it. Is there anyway I can be absolutely sure it's giving me the proper reading? Thanks ahead of time.

2. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,276   +153

The fx processors do give out wrong readings with a lot of temprature monitors, Hwmonitor gives the correct temps for the fx processors as my brother uses it for his 8150. His idles in the 30 degree zone with a noctua dh14.

63 celsius is too hot, 61 is the reccomended max temp.

3. dikbozo

dikbozo TS Enthusiast Posts: 106

I find that when overclocking AMD CPUs the temperature IC is usually disabled and/or gives the wrong readings. I recall this behavior since at least the days of Sockets 754 and 939.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.