AMD launches 2nd-gen Ryzen: $199 to $329, available April 19, pre-orders today

Scorpus

Staff member

AMD has finally unveiled their 2nd-generation Ryzen line-up today, after weeks of leaks and rumors surrounding the hotly anticipated processors. While we can't talk about performance numbers or anything aside from a surface-level overview just yet, we do have information on the processor specifications and prices to share.

The 2nd-gen Ryzen line-up includes four processors: two in the Ryzen 5 series, and two in the Ryzen 7 series. All four CPUs will be available on shelves worldwide on April 19, with pre-orders starting today. As always we recommend waiting until you see our review on April 19 before you buy, but if you really want to pre-order, you should be able to do so now.

At the top of the line-up are the eight core, 16 thread Ryzen 7 processors: the Ryzen 7 2700X and Ryzen 7 2700. This time around, AMD has tightened up the pricing between the non-X and X models, while choosing not to produce a successor to the Ryzen 7 1800X.

The Ryzen 7 2700X is priced at $329, and comes with a 3.7 GHz base clock and 4.3 GHz boost clock, along with 20MB of cache and a 105W TDP (up from 95W). The Ryzen 7 2700 will cost $299 with a 3.2 GHz base clock and 4.1 GHz boost, along with the same 20MB of cache but a lower 65W TDP.

In the Ryzen 5 line we're looking at two processors with six cores and 12 threads: the Ryzen 5 2600X and Ryzen 5 2600. The 2600X costs $229 and provides a 3.6 GHz base clock with a 4.2 GHz boost, with 19MB of cache and a 95W TDP. The cheaper 2600 is just $199 and for that you get a 3.4 GHz base clock with a 3.9 GHz boost, plus 19MB of cache and a 65W TDP.

Like with 1st-gen Ryzen, all 2nd-gen Ryzen CPUs are unlocked and fully overclockable on supported motherboards. All also come with box coolers of varying qualities, which is a change on 1st-gen Ryzen where some X models did not include a cooler. The 2700 and 2600X get the existing Wraith Spire, and the 2600 gets a Wraith Stealth.

The 2700X comes with an all-new cooler, the Wraith Prism, that is improved in several areas. The fin profile has been adjusted to give better clearance to surrounding RAM sticks, and there's now direct heatpipe contact to the CPU. The cooler is quite hefty and includes a fair bit of copper on the base, plus you get a clear fan with an RGB ring around the outside. Pretty impressive for a box cooler, though we can't tell you how well it works just yet.

It's also worth mentioning that 2nd-gen Ryzen parts are built using a 12nm process and use the Zen+ architecture, so it's not a full architecture refresh, but we will be seeing some minor improvements along with gains relating to the shift from 14nm to 12nm. You'll find out more about IPC improvements and overclocking on April 19, though you can already see these processors have higher clocks than their predecessors.

As for the X470 platform, which AMD has also unveiled today, we'll be seeing a massive range of new motherboards hit the market that support the new chipset. X470 will coexist alongside X370, B350 and A320 for now; AMD has not announced a 'B450' or 'A420' today. The main advantage to X470 over X370 is improved power infrastructure to better support 2nd-gen Ryzen and provide higher clocks, though of course 2nd-gen Ryzen chips will work in 300-series motherboards, too.

X470 boards will also come with StoreMI technology for free, which is basically a RAID-like utility that combines all the storage drives in your system. However the unique feature here is StoreMI will move around the files on your system to ensure the most frequently-accessed files are on the fastest drives, a bit like a caching system, for maximum performance and the fastest game load times.

That's all we can talk about right now, you'll have to check back for our full review on April 19 for everything else you want to know about 2nd-gen Ryzen.

Pre-Order Now:

Permalink to story.

That 2600 is looking very interesting to me. Been looking to upgrade from my 2500K for a while now, am kinda glad the rediculous RAM prices have kept me from getting the first gen.

Do NOT pre-order nothing. Or have people never learn their lesson?

Look AMD Ryzen 3 1200 is now $70, that is like nearly 1/2 off the initial release price of $120. See:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/...M4_Boxed_Processor_with_Wraith_Stealth_Cooler

The 1800x is now $280 with $30 mobo discount see:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/485483/Ryzen_7_1800X_36_GHz_8_Core_AM4_Boxed_Processor

So essentially $250, or 1/2 off of the orginal $500.

AMD's pricing of the whole Ryzen line basically shows AMD will drastically overprice at the start in 6 months you will see drastic price reduction, and by 9 to 12 months it will be going for 1/2 price.

So unless you are really desperate, there is no good reason to pre-order at AMD massively overpriced prices.

Look AMD Ryzen 3 1200 is now $70, that is like nearly 1/2 off the initial release price of $120. See:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/...M4_Boxed_Processor_with_Wraith_Stealth_Cooler

http://www.microcenter.com/product/485483/Ryzen_7_1800X_36_GHz_8_Core_AM4_Boxed_Processor

AMD's pricing of the whole Ryzen line basically shows AMD will drastically overprice at the start in 6 months you will see drastic price reduction, and by 9 to 12 months it will be going for 1/2 price.

So unless you are really desperate, there is no good reason to pre-order at AMD massively overpriced prices.

Just wait for benchmarks....... nothing wrong with buying something at launch.

Nothing wrong if you enjoy paying for the joys of being a guinea pig beta tester. I've had my share of getting all bloody on the bleeding edge, it is just not worth it, not the money or the time. Anyhow, buying at launch is not pre-ordering.

Nothing wrong if you enjoy paying for the joys of being a guinea pig beta tester. I've had my share of getting all bloody on the bleeding edge, it is just not worth it, not the money or the time. Anyhow, buying at launch is not pre-ordering.
Early adopters have always paid a premium.

Most price drops are attributed to the next generation being on the horizon, but I believe the 2K series will be AMD's top-of-the-line for at least another 18 months.

Moore's Law has stretched out the past decade as we near the limits of silicon. ;)

Not much of a big deal,if Ram and GPU prices continue to be so inflated,whats the sense in upgrading? just to get the latest CPU. I certainly wouldn't preorder anything, I know how that turns out.
I wouldn't mind upgrading my 3930K and Rampage iv Extreme ,32 gig DDR3 2133, but with the current prices ,NOT! still works fine for what I'm doing.

I really don't understand this 'pre-order' thing. Music albums, phones, cpu's.....on and on.
It's really no problem for me to wait until there is actually a product and get to read reviews. Is there some kind of mass lack of patience or have corporations got us salivating like Pavlov's dogs at the prospect of new stuff? I'm serious, if someone can explain this, I'd be glad to know.

Atleast someone can see right through the bullshit, lets not forget intel will see amd's current price tags and lower them just enough to steal the spotlight.

I really don't understand this 'pre-order' thing. Music albums, phones, cpu's.....on and on.
It's really no problem for me to wait until there is actually a product and get to read reviews. Is there some kind of mass lack of patience or have corporations got us salivating like Pavlov's dogs at the prospect of new stuff? I'm serious, if someone can explain this, I'd be glad to know.

If your suggesting it's a bad idea because of the performance being an "unknown" I don't think that's an issue this time around. It's not like AMD has promised the moon here. The first generation of Ryzen CPUs on the Zen architecture has been a great success. This is first generation with small improvements. So, this isn't like purchasing a lottery ticket or spinning a roulette wheel at this point. I guess the reason for a pre-order would be in case the demand is very high (which is definitely possible) so that people get their processors sooner rather than later?

But yeah, you hit the nail on the head with your last comment. People love new technology, and that includes me! :)

I rarely pre-order anything though. I have lots of patience I guess.

Last edited:
Atleast someone can see right through the bullshit, lets not forget intel will see amd's current price tags and lower them just enough to steal the spotlight.

I don't understand your comments, honestly. Early adopters of anything (games, movies, technology) generally always pay a premium. So I don't really understand the advice being given here unless your pinching pennies.

And to your second comment, I guess you owe AMD a big "Thank You!" then huh? :)

This does read like you have an agenda as a result of a bad experience. You were effectively telling people to wait until a year after launch before buying a product as you think it is overpriced........... They have been priced fantastically even from launch last year.

This is really simple, wait for reviews and if it suits an individuals needs then buy it. Everything else is just opinionated rubbish.

I think the 2800X will come at a later date at 4.5 GHz. I don't think they currently have enough chips that can hit that number and need a bit more time to mature the process. Not like that's anything groundbreaking, it's very typical.

Take a look at Intel's massive overprices, you'll be amazed. Basically their 4c / 4t unlocked variant cost 250€ on September 2017 and then it dropped to 160 in a single month. Go figure.

TL:DR, prices drop as time goes by, whether it's Intel or AMD.

TL:DR, prices drop as time goes by, whether it's Intel or AMD.

False equivalence. Show me where you can get a kabylake at 50% discount, anyone selling a 7700K for $150? But AMD whole Ryzen line is coming close to 50% drop, R7, R5, R3, an some of them haven't even had a whole year on the market. AMD does not even have the guts this time around to price the 2700X which is the 1800x replacement at $500. Maybe they learned how overpricing has hurt their image and their credibility, but even then they are not learning fast enough and still pricing too high.

When there is an established precedent of price drops of this scale, then people should be smart enough to demand lower prices and expect the price drops to come. All the more reason to NOT pre-order or pay for privilleges of being the first guinea pigs. There are some many people already crying about how the 2200G and 2400G not working in their boards. Why anyone in their right mind wants to pay more to suffer, I do NOT understand.

Ι can buy the same CPU with the same cores / threads, the same IPC and the same clockspeeds for half the price I could 5 months ago. Alternatively I can buy a 6/6 cpu that's faster than 7700k for less than 220€ instead of 350€. That's a pricecut in my book.

And the same of course applies for the hedt platform. The 6800k / 6850k had MASSIVE pricecuts. Thankfully Intel learned their lesson and the sky-x was priced accordingly instead of the overpriced bullshit they did with broadwell-e ;)

This is the 1700's pricing history in my country. https://ibb.co/gbfw6n
This is for the 6850k. https://ibb.co/h6e0XS
This is for the 7600k. https://ibb.co/hMDr6n

Not even taking into account that's its the same processor as the 8350k and costs 30% less than that, which completely obliterates your point.

OMG that amd pricedrop, lol

Last edited:
Back