AMD Processor help

Status
Not open for further replies.

toothmkr57

I have a home built system that kind of resembles fenkenstein with this upgraded part here or this part there.... Anyway my question today involves my processor. I currently have a ECS K8M800-M2 v2.0 motherboard running a AMD Sempron 2800+ processor. I have recieved from a friend an AMD Sempron 64 3100+. My question is can I use this with my board? and is it a good idea? It appears to me that the sempron 64 3100+ runs a tad slower that the sempron 2800+. I know enough to be dangerous, but I don't know enough technical stuff to decifer all the information cpu world is throwing at me. Also can the semp.64 3100+ run in x86? I did some other research and it appears that it can, but I wanted to confirm. And not to be silly but if this all works and I run it on the x86-64 platform, instead of the x86 platform, can I still run my regular 32 bit version of xp pro? or do I need to get a 64 bit version of windows? ANy help would be greatly appreciated!!!

TIA,
Paul

I think you`ve got your wires crossed somewhere.

The mobo you link to is a socket754. This means it would be suitable for the AMD Sempron 64 3100+, which is a socket754 cpu.

Your AMD Sempron 2800+ cpu is socket `A` and will not run in a socket754 mobo.

Regards Howard :)

sorry, I just found a link for the 2800+, I guess I whoopsed. I do have a socket 754 board and a socket 754 processor...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back