AMD processor running at half speed. why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

papercut_2008

I have an AMD Sempron 2300 which normally runs at 1.8 Ghz. Now, it says it is running at 950 Mhz, and i dont know why. i tried restoring my BIOS to fail-safe defaults, and i changed the CMOS battery, but it didn't work. I really need help on this, so any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Try opening up some program like Internet Explorer or something that will stress your CPU. See whether the speed goes back to normal.

Some processors automatically throttle back when idling to reduce power consumption. When you stress them by opening a program or doing something like that, their speed goes back to normal. See if that works.

What socket is your CPU?

it's socket A.

I tried playing a game of Madden 2007 with everything maxed out, like i normally do, and it was so slow it was unplayable (something like 5fps)

a user on AMD's forum told me to try upping the fsb to 166. first, i tried it at 133 (it was at 100), and got the processor running at 1.2 ghz. i then tried 166, and windows wouldn't load, so i had to restore fail-safe defaults again to get windows up. is this my problem?

Does your motherboard support that cpu & do you have proper ram (PC2700 at least) ?

i figured it out, but the solution was kind of weird. It was the fsb, which was set to 100, when it was supposed to be 166. the reason i couldn't get windows to boot was because my usb printer was plugged in. i had accidentaly knocked it out and windows booted right up. i am kind of curious as to why this is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back