TechSpot

AMD Radeon R9 285s start to appear ahead of imminent launch

By Scorpus
Aug 11, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. AMD appears set to launch a new high-end graphics in the next few weeks, the Radeon R9 285, with pictures of OEM cards showing up today over on VideoCardz. There's nothing too fancy about the design of these GPUs, although...

Read more

2. WangDangDoodle

WangDangDoodle TS Addict Posts: 199   +71

I've been hearing rumors about Nvidia's 800 series since Q1/Q2, yet there's hardly been a whisper about AMD's next big thing. I don't know what this 285 thing is supposed to be, but it seems rather late in the game for AMD to start releasing new R9 series cards. I hope they've got something big coming soon, or Nvidia's gonna leave'em in the dust, and that would be bad for all of us.

Peter Farkas likes this.
  3. GhostRyder

GhostRyder This guy again... Posts: 2,191   +590

Its similar style to Nvidias GTX 750ti which is based on the new Maxwell Architecture from Nvidia. This is the next thing from AMD coming out to test the fields with their new architecture.

Looks cool, the 2gb is a little odd because they are putting it in between the 280 and 280X with that name. But I guess the performance is what matters in the end and not so much the memory.

4. robb213

robb213 TS Addict Posts: 315   +93

I think it just depends on the features coming with release that generate buzz. The R series' got a lot of coverage before release, mainly due to the TrueAudio DSP onboard, CFX without an external bridge, and freesync, not to mention the new GCN. Not to mention it contained a new architecture in certain GPUs.

Maxwell is getting it now, mainly due to the amazing power efficiency we saw with the 750 Ti, and the onboard ARM CPU, as well as being a new architecture, which the R9 290X also had going for it generating buzz.

The 285 is more like a relaunch, like the 700 series, or the HD 6000 series; so I would be surprised to see as much coverage as a new architecture.

5. veLa

veLa TS Evangelist Posts: 708   +168

With only 2GB of RAM I'd assume it would be between the 270X and 280 but the name sure doesn't imply that.

6. PC nerd

PC nerd TS Booster Posts: 317   +41

I'm confused. It's named as if it should perform between a 280 and a 280X, but it's only got 2GB VRAM on a 256-bit bus.