AMD64 v. Regular CPU. Which to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SturmteK

Hello Friends.
I am interested in purchasing a new rig. This rig will be mainly used for state of the art new gaming.
I was reading some articles about AMD64 processors, and they claim that they are better for games.
Is this true?
Which is better?

Yes, A64 is better. But then top of the line is almost always better andmore expensive.

If this will be your rig for next couple years then go A64. If you upgrade from time to time (6 months to a year) then the answer could be different. :)

I'd go for one of the cheaper A64's and upgrade to a faster one when it drops in price...

Personally just got myself an A64 3k+ with an MSI K8N Neo Platinum and so far I like it.

Got and increase of ~5k points in 3dmark2001SE (and 300 points in 3dmark03), which isn't too bad considering I kept my old ram and videocard.

By choosing a 754 cpu, you'll be getting the cheapest A64's, but also the option of upgrading to the 3700+ when it drops in price.
If you go for the 939, you'll have to pay more for the cpu (as they are faster than 754's), but it can last you longer. (How long, I don't know, since it'll (most likely) only last until AMD increases the HT speed again.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back