AMD's new flagship Radeon RX 7900M mobile GPU comes with 4,608 cores & 16GB VRAM

DragonSlayer101

Staff
What just happened? AMD has unveiled a new flagship mobile GPU that it claims is its fastest laptop graphics chip yet. The Radeon RX 7900M is based on the RDNA 3 architecture and includes the Navi 31 GPU with 4,608 Stream Processors and a whopping 16GB of GDDR6 memory.

AMD claims that the new card would not only enable gamers to experience 1440p gaming on their laptops, but also allow content creators to render complex 3D environments and animations in real-time. The card is also said to have improved AI accelerators optimized for AI workloads and should deliver better performance than RDNA 2 GPUs in a wide array of applications.

The 7900M features 72 compute units (CU), which is more than double that of the RX 7700S launched earlier this year. While that promises to offer stellar performance, it is more power-hungry than the 7700S as well, with a 180W TGP. In terms of clock speeds, the Radeon RX 7900M has an 1,825MHz game clock, up to 2,090MHz boost clock, a 256-bit memory interface, and 64MB of Infinity Cache.

Add to that the impressive 16GB of VRAM, and the new card could be a great addition to the high-end laptop gaming market. AMD claims it would offer 7 percent faster performance on average than the RTX 4080 at QHD resolution in a range of popular titles, including Starfield, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Resident Evil 4, Far Cry 6, Forza Horizon 5, Spiderman Miles Morales, F1 2022, DOOM Eternal, The Callisto Protocol, Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition, and more.

Alienware has already announced a new laptop with the latest graphics card. The upgraded m18 R1 is powered by the RX 7900M GPU and the Ryzen 9 7945HX CPU. The existing m81 comes with the Radeon RX 7600M XT, so the new model is expected to be a substantial upgrade. Other hardware specifications for the upgraded model include an 18-inch QHD+ (2,560 x 1,600) display, up to 64GB of RAM, and more.

The Alienware m81 R1 is already available for purchase on Alienware.com for $2,799.99 in the U.S. and CAD 3,799.99 in Canada. Eventually, we expect AMD's new flagship mobile graphics card to find its way to a few other laptops as well, but the company has not officially announced any such plans for now.

Permalink to story.

Yeah, considering you can get a 4070 GPU in laptops now as low as $1100, that's a pretty big ask.

Considering that the m4070 is really just an up-branded 4060ti and that the 7900m is faster than a desktop 4080, it really isn't a "pretty big ask".
The 7900M is about as powerful as a desktop RTX 3080, not faster than a desktop RTX 4080 by a longshot. However, I did not know how weak the 4070 mobile was so I will grant you that. The 7900M is about 2X faster, and just behind 4090 mobile performance, so I do stand corrected.
I'm not a laptop gamer, I assumed the 4070 would have been a good bit more powerful than what it is.

The comparison in this article is to a laptop 4080, not a desktop 4080.

Last edited:
The 7900M is about as powerful as a desktop RTX 3080, not faster than a desktop RTX 4080 by a longshot. However, I did not know how weak the 4070 mobile was so I will grant you that. The 7900M is about 2X faster, and just behind 4090 mobile performance, so I do stand corrected.
I'm not a laptop gamer, I assumed the 4070 would have been a good bit more powerful than what it is.

The comparison in this article is to a laptop 4080, not a desktop 4080.
If the 7900m is 4090m levels, that's fantastic, and might hopefully mean we get an all AMD razer 18.

True, but the iPGU is is woeful for that chip. What we want is Strix Halo to come with v-cache, so the APU is all you'll need, no more discrete GPU's for laptop.
Given that X3D is geared towards high-end gaming, I doubt such a product will ever be made. Especially since no 8-core X3D product exists in the mobile segment… this is highest-end only.

Given that X3D is geared towards high-end gaming, I doubt such a product will ever be made. Especially since no 8-core X3D product exists in the mobile segment… this is highest-end only.
One DOES exist, the 7745h3d. It's yet to be used, but AMD has designed it.

High end gaming PC in my opinion offers the worst value. Not only are you paying for stupid amounts of money for it, it also weighs alot, can't last on battery, runs very hot and loud and depreciates very quickly. If you need to game, better to buy a light laptop for work, and spend money to setup an ITX rig. I believe you should still have money left as opposed to buying a flagship gaming laptop.

Back