AMD's Ryzen 5 5600X is a ripper, notches top spot in PassMark single thread CPU test

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Editor's take: AMD’s upcoming Ryzen 5 5600X CPU has made its presence known in a big way. The chip, which doesn’t officially launch until November 5, is featured in the latest leaderboard update from benchmark software maker PassMark. Of course, benchmarks aren't everything, but it certainly doesn't hurt to win them, either.

In PassMark’s CPU Mark test measuring single thread performance, the Ryzen 5 5600X scored a chart-topping 3,495 points. The next highest score on the list belongs to the Intel Core i9-10900K (a $550 CPU) at 3,175. Ouch.

The Ryzen 5 5600X is one of four new Ryzen 5000 series processors built on AMD’s Zen 3 architecture. The six core / 12 thread CPU boasts a core clock speed of 3.7GHz and can boost up to 4.6GHz, all at a 65W TDP.

Perhaps more impressive is the fact that the Ryzen 5 5600X is at the bottom of the thus-announced Zen 3 stack. The Ryzen 7 5800X, the Ryzen 9 5900X and the Ryzen 9 5950X all have higher core / thread counts and more cache (but they also have higher TDPs and cost more). Only the Ryzen 7 5800X has a higher base clock rate (at 3.8GHz).

All of AMD's new Ryzen 5000 series desktop processors are scheduled to launch on November 5.

Permalink to story.

I have been using very powerful laptops for years and have not needed a desktop. These CPU wars (Its nice to say that again) almost makes me want to build my first one in 15+ years.
Funny enough, it was a laptop - not even a particularly powerful one (Huawei Matebook with a Ryzen 2500U) - that made me build the first desktop in ages.

It just made me realize what a potato my Trinity based desktop was (an HP Elitedesk 705 G1 that I had upgraded slightly).

Those results look a little odd. Ran a quick test on v1000 of PassMark and got the following (i7-9700K):

passmark01.jpg

Downloading v1010 now to see if they've adjusted the CPU Single Threaded test.

Edit: Yup, they've changed the test:

passmark02.jpg

If genuine, that Ryzen 5 5600X result is incredible - almost 19% higher than my 9700K :neutral:

Last edited:
It's Athlon 64 all over again, they got close with Zen aka K6 and provided better value, they meet or exceeded in certain areas Athlon/Athlon XP, and now they've overtaken intel Athlon 64, its nice to see history repeat itself, lets just hope that Zen 4 doesn't repeat the Phenom 1

Those results look a little odd. Ran a quick test on v1000 of PassMark and got the following (i7-9700K):

View attachment 87147

Downloading v1010 now to see if they've adjusted the CPU Single Threaded test.

Edit: Yup, they've changed the test:

View attachment 87148

If genuine, that Ryzen 5 5600X result is incredible - almost 19% higher than my 9700K :neutral:
Second pic is still v10.0? *Edit* nevermind my eyes are old LOL.

That's insane!

What really sticks out to me is that from the #2 CPU to the #20 CPU the separation is 272 points. But the #2 CPU (i9 10900K) is 320 points lower than the #1 5600X.

But what I really appreciate is that not one of the upper-tier CPUs suck anymore.

I love this. With all the cr_p going on in the world, at least us techys have exciting times these days. Looking forward to the reviews.

It's a shame my work did not want to wait for this series and the 3080s for our editing machine (10GB vram meh) so we settled on a 2080ti (11GB 2nd hand good value) and a brand new 3950x... Still slashes through all our 4K DCI RAW footage, but if only...

It's a shame my work did not want to wait for this series and the 3080s for our editing machine (10GB vram meh) so we settled on a 2080ti (11GB 2nd hand good value) and a brand new 3950x... Still slashes through all our 4K DCI RAW footage, but if only...
Although your firm would have saved a lot of money and got better cards sadly they would still be waiting.

This is likely to be the best Black Friday in years for those of us in the value market. If it's not then the industry is gonna be hurting bad come January.

Although your firm would have saved a lot of money and got better cards sadly they would still be waiting.

That is true. We got the 2080ti for £550GBP on eBay and so far, so good. Hopefully pop anotehr 2080ti next year with addition 32GB RAM.

Back