AMD's Ryzen 9 5950X pushed to a record 6362 MHz on liquid nitrogen

nanoguy

Staff member
In context: It's no secret that AMD is stealing Intel's thunder and slowly but surely chipping away some sizeable market share. Now it's gaining even more respect in the minds of gamers and overclocking enthusiasts with a processor that shatters world records.

Ryzen 5000 series desktop CPUs dropped this week, and they sold out in minutes at all major retailers, leading to the all-familiar scenario of coveted components ending up on eBay with inflated prices.

There's a good reason for the high demand, as we've noted in our review of the Ryzen 9 5900X and Ryzen 9 5950X. Both CPUs offer solid performance when compared to Intel's Core i9-10900K in single core and gaming scenarios, but they also offer more cores, which means staggeringly faster productivity performance.

Overclockers are also enthusiastic about the new processors, and have been busy pushing the limits farther using exotic cooling methods. Popular overclocker HiCookie managed to get the Ryzen 9 5950X to 6.362 GHz on all 16 cores while using liquid nitrogen cooling. This was accomplished using a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master motherboard and 16 GB of Corsair DDR4 memory.

The overclock was stable enough to allow a Cinebench R20 run, which yielded a score of 15,517 points. For reference, the unit used in our review achieved a score of 10,157 points, so the new result is impressive indeed.

As of writing, this seems to be the highest verified result, and it's certainly the highest for a consumer processor of this caliber. Its predecessor, the Ryzen 9 3950X went up to a maximum of 6,073 MHz on liquid nitrogen, achieving a Cinebench R20 score of 12,757 points.

Permalink to story.

6.3 GHz on ALL 16 CORES?! :scream:
OK, no more questions :)
cpu.png

As much as I'm impressed with the Ryzen 5xxx series, I'm never excited with these "extreme nitro cooling" BS.
(Holds true for any CPUs.)

It has zero practical usage for everyday user. It doesn't matter what extreme these CPUs are pushed to, we finally be using a water cooler or air cooler and run them how we all are using now.

All these so called "extreme" shows are just that - shows. While everyone visit to say "ooh-aah", these guys keep raking in money from ads.

Anyway, I'm not an overclocker and prefer to run them at stock, keeping the heat and stress on the CPU as low as possible.

A few fps extra is not worth the stress.

As much as I'm impressed with the Ryzen 5xxx series, I'm never excited with these "extreme nitro cooling" BS.

It has zero practical usage for everyday user. It doesn't matter what extreme these CPUs are pushed to, we finally be using a water cooler or air cooler and run them how we all are using now.

All these so called "extreme" shows are just that - shows. While everyone visit to say "ooh-aah", these guys keep raking in money from ads.

Anyway, I'm not an overclocker and prefer to run them at stock, keeping the heat and stress on the CPU as low as possible.

It's a fun hobby. Before I got into OCing a year or two ago it was cringe seeing people say I don't game I just OC. I've used a 50 gallon container, bathtub, back of toilet tank to flush away the heat and then moved on to some giant blocks of ice testing that I froze in my freezer. It almost hit 100f here last week so I'm not in the best climate for OCing. But again, it's fun :).

I use a 15$ aquarium pump I got off ebay and some just as cheap water blocks. Tubing from home depot etc. I might buy some used window AC units window units in the winter. Last year they were going for $20 a pop.

You might aswell keep your computer off to reduce the stress even further.

It was never about practical use. Everyone knows this.

You clearly missed the point.

Yeah, they reached 6 plus GHz........ aaaaannndd??? So..... then what?
oh yeah btw with my 50 gallon etc, I can use my $300 5700 non xt at 2070 super stock levels, flashed to xt mpt /brag, 2100 clock 2125 clock etc, 20%+ gain and a lot of fun getting there, like I need to cool my house anyways, might as well run it through my pc first. and my flush away the heat toilet tank setup saves me money. 400+ watts of heat being flushed down the drain. (CPU+GPU) my computer room is nice n cool. The extra heat can also be simply pulled out by my bathroom fan.

If you hook up a ac unit on your daily driver, you can route the excess heat out the window, if you stay within dew point then you don't even need to protect against condensation. It's really interesting, there are houses in I think it's the Netherlands that heat their house with gov funded data centers.

Even if you do not OC, your components will run use lower wattage just from being cooler. The cooling already needed in your house. It invokes thought.

Check this out ^^ kinda my next goal.
https://www.overclock.net/threads/hydroplanes-2019-chiller-conversion-build.1719676/

Gigabyte should send him a new X570 AORUS Xtreme motherboard for all the free pub.

No different than what people do with cars, boats, etc. Humans like to push the limit! It's in our nature.

oh yeah btw with my 50 gallon etc, I can use my $300 5700 non xt at 2070 super stock levels, flashed to xt mpt /brag, 2100 clock 2125 clock etc, 20%+ gain and a lot of fun getting there, like I need to cool my house anyways, might as well run it through my pc first. and my flush away the heat toilet tank setup saves me money. 400+ watts of heat being flushed down the drain. (CPU+GPU) my computer room is nice n cool. The extra heat can also be simply pulled out by my bathroom fan.

I almost want to see pics of this set up.... Thinking about making a Peltier set up to cool the next pc. See how many fans I can eliminate and so on...

Back