Analysts say there's a 40% chance Apple will buy Netflix

midian182

Staff member

The end of 2017 saw Disney attempt to take on industry behemoth Netflix with a proposed $52 billion takeover of 21st Century Fox. But a pair of analysts from financial giant Citi think there’s a good chance Netflix itself may soon become part of an acquisition that eclipses the Disney/Fox deal: they believe there’s a 40 percent likelihood that Apple will acquire the streaming service.

Jim Suva and Asiya Merchant say the potential takeover is a result of President Trump’s corporate tax cut, which allows companies a one-time allowance to repatriate money from overseas without being hit by a massive tax bill.

Apple famously has 90 percent of its cash, or around $252.3 billion, held outside of the US. Instead of the previous 35 percent it would have had to pay to bring it back to the US, Apple would now pay less than half that amount, leaving it with an estimated $39 billion tax bill. Considering it already has $36.3 billion set aside for such an eventuality, the move seems likely.

In a December note sent to clients, Suva and Merchant marked Netflix as the company Apple was most likely to buy. The analysts said there is a 20 – 30 percent chance of an even bigger deal between Disney and Apple, but the report was written before the Disney/Fox acquisition. Other less likely targets include Activision, Electronic Arts, and Take-Two.

Disney is set to launch its own streaming service in 2019 and has confirmed it will eventually pull its Star Wars and Marvel movies from Netflix. While Apple has been creating some original shows and has reportedly set aside $1 billion for acquiring video content, this pales in comparison to what Netflix spends on its originals.

If an Apple takeover deal really does happen, it’s thought that acquiring Netflix will cost it around $85 billion to $105 billion.

Permalink to story.

And do they have anything to base this on -- copies of Apple's fiscal plans for 2018, actual statements by top executives at Apple stating this is their intention, any kind of evidence that Apple is even planning on acquiring any company at all, etc.?

Or is this just a pie-in-the-sky, "wow, we wish that Apple would do this, they're so cool, we need someone to balance out evil old Disney & the companies they've bought" claims by people that don't know what they're talking about?

It is slowly happening... as cable companies dwindle down and slowly die, on-demand internet based television and movie providers will take over. Once they have us by the balls they will charge whatever they want.

Remember to vote with your wallets, if you don't like what they are charging don't buy it! Do without!

I almost puked when I saw this headline!!!

I love Netflix. The thought of paying a single penny to the weird, arrogant, closed, limited, over-priced eco-system called apple just makes me sick to my stomach . . .

I have nothing against Apple as a company (barring the latest throttling debacle...) but I really hope this doesn't come to pass, personally. I'd like Netflix to remain as independent as they possibly can, but such a large sum of cash would -- understandably -- turn the head of even someone with the best of intentions.

If thiss happens, I predict netflix to only work on apple devices, with many titles that pay per view, and of course more expensive because as we know, expensive is always better for customers :)

While I’d love to see where these analysts got the 40% figure, I do see the logic of Apple purchasing some company that provides tv/movie content, as they are lagging behind in that area.

iTunes certainly could use a shot in the arm, and the acquisition of Netflix would immediately make it the #1 media player again - remember how awesome it was when the iPod first came out all those years ago?

A merger with Disney, while obviously better, would be far more complicated (and expensive)... put away your Apple hatred for a minute and just think about what makes business sense.

While I’d love to see where these analysts got the 40% figure, I do see the logic of Apple purchasing some company that provides tv/movie content, as they are lagging behind in that area.

iTunes certainly could use a shot in the arm, and the acquisition of Netflix would immediately make it the #1 media player again - remember how awesome it was when the iPod first came out all those years ago?

A merger with Disney, while obviously better, would be far more complicated (and expensive)... put away your Apple hatred for a minute and just think about what makes business sense.
Look at how beats benefited from Apple's acquisition, not at all, maybe they have even gotten a little worse!

Look at how beats benefited from Apple's acquisition, not at all, maybe they have even gotten a little worse!
That's a nonsensical comment.... They are no longer Beats... They are Apple... And they are the same headphones...I suspect the previous owners of Beats are quite satisfied with the millions they received from Apple...

That is impossible. Because what makes business sense is staying away from Apple.
How so? They're only like the biggest and most profitable company in the world.... Stay away?!?! WHY?!?!

I will dump Netflix in that case, and surely I won't be alone jumping from that sinking boat
Yeah, everything Apple touches seems to die... A wonder they're still in business! /sarcasm

Last edited:
Yeah and I know why they are. It's the same reason people keep preaching to go AMD instead of Intel. Apple is by far worse than either of them.
And that reason is?!?!?! I'd think it would be the exact opposite... Intel is the profitable "big company" when compared to AMD... You're comparing Apple to AMD now?!!?

Any real logic you'd like to add?

And that reason is?!?!?! I'd think it would be the exact opposite... Intel is the profitable "big company" when compared to AMD... You're comparing Apple to AMD now?!!?

Any real logic you'd like to add?
You remind me of a damned lawyer. Twist words out to be what you want them to be knowing that is not what was said.

You remind me of a damned lawyer. Twist words out to be what you want them to be knowing that is not what was said.
I simply asked a question... which you have yet to answer... Why do you think liking Apple is like liking AMD?!? I see no logical reason for that inane opinion...

Apple buying Netflix would be a disaster of epic proportions. I would end my service if that happens.

Back