Android 7.0 Nougat apparently scheduled for August 22 release

Scorpus

Staff member

According to the latest tidbits of information, Google will be releasing the final version of Android 7.0 'Nougat' on August 22nd. As discovered by Android Central, this is the date Canadian carrier Telus lists in the software release schedule for the Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P.

There are two factors that give credence to this rumor. Firstly, Telus accurately stated the launch date for Android 6.0 'Marshmallow' ahead of time last year. Secondly, August 22nd is also the date that an Android 7.0 preview program begins for Korean LG G5s, and presumably manufacturers wouldn't be allowed to publish any sort of update before the final code is released, even if they have access ahead of time.

So it's looking likely that Google will make an announcement on Monday regarding the release of Android 7.0, followed by the usual over-the-air rollout of the update and availability of system images for Nexus handsets.

Android Nougat has been available for Nexus devices since March in a developer preview, the final version of which was released last month. The updated operating system brings new features like split-screen multitasking, an enhanced app switching screen, an improved notification system that shows more information, and typical tweaks to performance and battery life.

The release of a new version of Android typically coincides with new Nexus handsets, although this time it seems the update will launch a few weeks before we hear anything about new smartphones. Instead, the LG V20 will be the first device to ship with Android 7.0 on board.

Permalink to story.

I'm sure Samsung phones won't see the update until the end of the year at the earliest. At least in the US. I feel like we are always last to the party.

The way Android design has been devolving, ver 7 will have only three identical buttons, relying mostly on gestures and primal scream voice control. Version 8 will probably just have a blinking DOS prompt.

The way Android design has been devolving, ver 7 will have only three identical buttons, relying mostly on gestures and primal scream voice control. Version 8 will probably just have a blinking DOS prompt.

I believe they call that 'minimalist' You don't want to be overwhelmed by menus do you?

What is nougat anyway? it's the stuff in candy bars right - so it's candy bar filling? It doesn't stand on it's own - you can't go to the store and by a package of Nougat can you?

And they're updating the notifications, app swap screen and multitasking? Sounds more like a 6.1 to me.

What is nougat anyway? it's the stuff in candy bars right - so it's candy bar filling? It doesn't stand on it's own - you can't go to the store and by a package of Nougat can you?
Hint: Try using a web search engine if your extremely limited life experience hasn't exposed you to the wonder of Nougat yet.

Hint: Try using a web search engine if your extremely limited life experience hasn't exposed you to the wonder of Nougat yet.

Looks like white fruitcake - and I think I'll need to find a local baker to fully appreciate the wonder as my web browser is only providing me pictures - nothing to eat whatsoever. :)

I am however not surprised at all that the folks in Palo Alto California have a more diverse life experience than I do. I expect they dine on grass fed Kobe beef when they get bored with sushi and start off each meal with a locally sourced organic kale salad and some expensive micro-brew. Nougat is probably a regular dessert for them.

I'm from the 'Dairy State' - we have Culvers and ice cream. :(

Back