Android executive Hugo Barra leaving Google for Chinese smartphone maker Xiaomi

By Shawn Knight
Aug 29, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. One of Google’s top smartphone team members is leaving the company to take a position with upstart Chinese handset maker Xiaomi. Hugo Barra, current vice president of product management for Android, announced the decision on his Google+ page late yesterday...

Read more
  2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,335   +1,937

They must've made Barra an offer he couldn't understand.
    Khanonate, lmike6453 and SalaSSin like this.
  3. lmike6453

lmike6453 TS Enthusiast Posts: 100   +6

Agreed. To leave Google as a respected executive for something else would take a strong motivational factor...$$$$$$$$$$$
  4. p51d007

p51d007 TS Evangelist Posts: 853   +352

China has slowly become the "superpower" in the world, he's going where the money is.
  5. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,383   +105

Bye, bye.. I'll take over your role at Google!
    RenGood08 likes this.
  6. RenGood08

RenGood08 TS Booster Posts: 185   +13

Wow. That is...different. I certainly hope that it will be worth his time working with this company that is currently ONLY in China. I hope they intend to expand to become as big as what Google is. I had a bite on my resume from Google and it was exciting. (Though nothing else was still cool to be acknowledged!)
  7. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,383   +105

I wish you the best with Google with your resume. Good luck!
    RenGood08 likes this.
  8. RenGood08

RenGood08 TS Booster Posts: 185   +13

Unfortunately it fell through. It was just exciting to hear from Google. I ended up getting a good job at a local insurance agency.
  9. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,373   +310

So they got $10billion in funding... how long has this company been going on for?