1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Android executive Hugo Barra leaving Google for Chinese smartphone maker Xiaomi

By Shawn Knight · 8 replies
Aug 29, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. One of Google’s top smartphone team members is leaving the company to take a position with upstart Chinese handset maker Xiaomi. Hugo Barra, current vice president of product management for Android, announced the decision on his Google+ page late yesterday...

Read more

2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 7,147   +2,376

They must've made Barra an offer he couldn't understand.

Khanonate, lmike6453 and SalaSSin like this.
  3. lmike6453

lmike6453 TS Enthusiast Posts: 100   +6

Agreed. To leave Google as a respected executive for something else would take a strong motivational factor...$$$$$$$$$$$

4. p51d007

p51d007 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,019   +447

China has slowly become the "superpower" in the world, he's going where the money is.

5. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,412   +109

Bye, bye.. I'll take over your role at Google!

RenGood08 likes this.
  6. RenGood08

RenGood08 TS Booster Posts: 185   +13

Wow. That is...different. I certainly hope that it will be worth his time working with this company that is currently ONLY in China. I hope they intend to expand to become as big as what Google is. I had a bite on my resume from Google and it was exciting. (Though nothing else happened...it was still cool to be acknowledged!)

7. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,412   +109

I wish you the best with Google with your resume. Good luck!

RenGood08 likes this.
  8. RenGood08

RenGood08 TS Booster Posts: 185   +13

Unfortunately it fell through. It was just exciting to hear from Google. I ended up getting a good job at a local insurance agency.

9. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,411   +339

So they got $10billion in funding... how long has this company been going on for?