Android Hotspot Causing Site Rendering Problems

When I use my Samsung Galaxy S6 (Android v6.0.1, Cricket AT&T) as a hotspot, our company website (www.lightingsupply.com) header doesn't display properly, there is a white band about 1/2" tall covering the top of the header. And, the main "hero" image on the home page displays about half size. We have tried several other phones as hotspots and cannot reproduce the problem. It's, only with my S6, and so far only our company website shows problems. Here are a few facts:
1. The site was updated the same day the issue cropped up, but no work was done on the header. The "hero" image used to be a slider with 5 images but we reduced that to just one. All work done by a professional coder, no amateurs. The coders don't see anything wrong with the CSS/HTML.
2. The problem occurs on every computer, every browser when my phone is used.
3. The developer got hold of a different S6 and could not reproduce the problem.
4. Our company uses a VDI for our cloud hosted environment. If I use the hotspot to connect through the VDI the website looks correct.
5. We've tried virtually everything standard, including restarting the phone, making sure all updates were in place, etc. We also tried multiple browsers on multiple machines. Problem is absolutely constant when using my phone as a hotspot.

My gut says it has to be something in the CSS/HTML of the site, but I can't understand how using my phone as a hotspot is the only way the issue presents itself.

Any help appreciated!

Try other smartphones as well - - you're testing the User Agent String which is unique per device-browser combination.

Try other smartphones as well - - you're testing the User Agent String which is unique per device-browser combination.
Yes, we tried other smartphones, no problems found. I don't understand how the User Agent String can cause this issue. This isn't my area of expertise.

The User Agent String is what the CSS Media Queries access to determine the device and how to support it.

Let's look at the network path;

A normal website would would be seen directly like WEBSITE <--- > Browser (or device w/browser).

With a hotspot service on your device; it would now be seen like
  • website---- hotspot connection --- local users
The hotspot service can be masking device attributes.

Take your phone (the S6) to any local hotspot, like McDonnell's or Starbuck's and access your website from there to ensure the site is functional without the distortion in the presentation.

Back