Annoying ad

mailpup

TS Special Forces
Wow. Is that expanding and contracting ad at the top of the page annoying or what?! If I want to click on a thread or any link on the page, I have to chase after it as it moves rapidly up or down as the ad expands and contracts and then it's impossible to read anything as the text rolls up and down the page.

I usually don't complain about ads because I know they are necessary but this is bad.

Edit: FYI, thankfully it's gone now.

"NoScript" and Firefox, for "fast,fast,fast, relief.

If you're using "Chrome" you have nobody to blame but yourself.

The ad in question would appear at the top of the page, in the dark space above the large TechSpot logo. Anyway, I haven't seen it since I started this thread. I was using Firefox.

"You are", = "You're".....not...."your"...! (Yeah I know I'm a ****, I have to live with me).

TS, not that this thread isn't dead as a doornail, you could also, "fall on your sword", as it were, and simply suffer through the ad, for the good of the site. TS is after all, ad supported.

There are sites that forbid the discussion of adblockers, under penalty of being banned, for this very reason!

Well I have been suggested to try the program by fellow members so I was simply offering him the same pleasure...

As mentioned in my previous post I'm not using Chrome.

Just to clarify, it wasn't just any ad I to which I was objecting. It was a particularly bad type of ad that made it difficult to even use the TechSpot forums. That said, no one else seemed to see it so maybe it was just me and since it hasn't reappeared after that first time it might be moot.

Also, if an ad is particularly annoying, bothersome or offensive, sometimes admins can do something about it so it is worth bringing up. And by admin I mean Julio.

Well I have been suggested to try the program by fellow members so I was simply offering him the same pleasure...
Just so I won't be branded a hypocrite, I'm quite guilty of talking about blocking ads myself, and in this very thread, no less....:D
As mentioned in my previous post I'm not using Chrome.

Just to clarify, it wasn't just any ad I to which I was objecting. It was a particularly bad type of ad that made it difficult to even use the TechSpot forums. That said, no one else seemed to see it so maybe it was just me and since it hasn't reappeared after that first time it might be moot..
What you're describing almost sounds like a social engineering trojan in waiting. Some bit of nastiness that was running in RAM.

In any event, legend has it that FF, with the "NoScript" extension, will block cross scripting attacks. Therefore, it must be considered, "security software". And as such, it can't be excluded from an ad blocking discussion.....;)

I still wish we could get some useable emoticons installed!. :( (The "rolleyes" was my absolute favorite)

Back