TechSpot

Annoying ads

By peterthegreat
Aug 17, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. What's with the overpowering HP ads? Makes me want to change my homepage. Fed up with them!

2. hopgop1

hopgop1 TS Booster Posts: 165   +31

Screenshot?

3. hopgop1

hopgop1 TS Booster Posts: 165   +31

I was browsing your latest acorn article comments and I moved the mouse off the page onto the tab bar at the top of my browser so that the portion of text I was reading wasn't obstructed, (Chrome Windows 7) and a moving advert for BT popped up in front of me, is this intentional? IMO it's very annoying especially while I was still reading the comments. Screenshot attached.

Attached Files:

4. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 7,058   +645

To be honest I don't see where that ad could come from within TS unless you hovered or clicked on a standard ad in the first place.

5. TheDreams

TheDreams TS Addict Posts: 609   +61

So this popped up earlier and hindered my browsing D: Not sure if techspot or NSA's attempt at covering up their shenanigans...
    [​IMG]

6. Julio Franco

It's a slip on our agency's part. Hopefully will be gone by tomorrow.

TheDreams likes this.
  7. TheDreams

So I don't think that happened :oops:
    [​IMG]

8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,550   +2,894

Seeing my past issues from the stand point of others, makes me a proud user of Adblock Plus. If only I had control over the criteria of which ads to show, I might allow the ads that were confined to a specific space. But since I don't, I will choose to hide them all.

9. TheDreams

Usually I choose to do the same, I just disable it for a select few that of which I think deserve it.

10. Julio Franco

While I understand the annoyance, we already choose not to show any intrusive ads to logged in users -- but if we chose not to show any ads whatsoever, then of course, we'd be out of business.

Thanks for reporting the overlays are not yet gone, they should, but again we must go through our agency to take them down.

Update: Got reconfirmation from the agency, those overlay ads are fully gone.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  11. bluejolls

bluejolls TS Booster Posts: 107   +8

How about to install AdsBlock Plus plugin to avoid these pop-ups ads? It helps me...

12. TheDreams

You are quite correct, but as you see on the screenshot above, I do indeed have it installed.:p Just disabled for techspot because, well yolo.

13. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,688   +1,877

It's so nice to see something that annoys the forum members more than me! Keep those popups coming @Julio Franco !(y)

14. TheDreams

@Julio Franco :( Halp, it seems it is back...I was browsing on meh chromebook at school and I was bombarded, I didn't get a screenie but it was this same ad. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  15. Julio Franco

Thanks for the note, taking care of this (again) soon :cool:

16. TheDreams

Thanks Julio [​IMG]

17. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,550   +2,894

The Ad agency knows TechSpot will continue to pay no matter what, I doubt they are doing everything they can to prevent this.

18. Julio Franco

Just got an email confirming they've removed the campaign.

19. TheDreams

Well there is the option to go with another ad agency, so they have that to fear.

20. Julio Franco

Small mishap, our agency rocks to be honest :)

TheDreams likes this.
  21. TheDreams

This one popped up earlier, when I didn't click on anything
    [​IMG]

22. Julio Franco

Should be taken care of today. Thanks.