Anonymous claims it is behind massive cyberattack campaign against Turkey

midian182

Staff member

Turkey is suffering one of the worst cyberattacks ever seen in the country. A number of financial and government websites were hit by DDoS attacks over the last two weeks, in an ongoing campaign that intensified over the weekend. Many leading Turkish banks, including Isbank, Garanti and Ziraat Bank, have reported intermittent disruption to some credit card transactions.

It’s not totally clear who is responsible for the attacks, but one non-government body said they originated from “organized sources” outside Turkey. Many of the country’s news outlets are suggesting that Russia could be behind the campaign – retaliation for the downing of a Russian bomber by a Turkish fighter jet in November. This wouldn’t be the first time that Russia has launched cyberattacks against a country that has incurred its wrath; both Estonia and Georgia have endured similar campaigns that had Russian origins.

Even though the Turkish media is pointing the finger of accusation at Russia, ‘hacktivist' group Anonymous is taking credit for the attacks. The group released a video stating it is disrupting the country’s internet as punishment for Turkey’s alleged dealings with terrorist organization ISIS, an accusation it vehemently denies.

“We won't accept that (President Recep Tayyip) Erdogan, the leader of Turkey, will help Isis any longer.” a voice on the Anonymous video said.

"Dear Government of Turkey, if you don't stop supporting Isis, we will continue attacking your internet, your root DNS, your banks and take your government sites down. After the root DNS we will start to hit your airports, military assets, and private state connections. We will destroy your critical banking infrastructure. Stop this insanity now, Turkey. Your fate is in your hands."

Special Cyber government security units within the Information and Communication Technologies Authority (ICTA) and the Telecommunications Directorate (TIB) have been deployed to stop the attacks, reports RT. The Turkish government has not placed the blame on anyone and has only said that it has things under control.

Earlier this year, the Syrian Electronic Army, a hacking group loyal to the Syrian government, said it had successfully broken into Turkish government e-mail accounts.

Permalink to story.

Turkey's back door support of ISIS via it's oil purchases is nothing new, but has been tolerated. Now they are being taken to task, but sadly, without availability of oil from Russia, they have little choice ....

Is it just me or every news article these days about international affairs seems to always have something negative to say about Russia? Aren't they the only once who are actively destroying ISIS's oil smuggling routes? Just the other week the US posted a video (with russian wording on it) taking credit for the bombings - and thus supporting russia's actions.
So why all the hate? I just don't understand.

As far as Turkey getting their hands on oil, Russia is not the only market in town. There are plenty of other sources to choose from without having it support terrorism by having it smuggled in.

I say we all just hold hands and singing kumbaya.

Is it just me or every news article these days about international affairs seems to always have something negative to say about Russia? Aren't they the only once who are actively destroying ISIS's oil smuggling routes? Just the other week the US posted a video (with russian wording on it) taking credit for the bombings - and thus supporting russia's actions.

As far as Turkey getting their hands on oil, Russia is not the only market in town. There are plenty of other sources to choose from without having it support terrorism by having it smuggled in.

Russia is one of the few major powers unapologetically protecting its native culture. It's also being led by a man who puts international interests at a distant second to Russian interests. Ergo, Russia & Putin are bad guys. Really, really bad guys.

ISIS and mass migration are nothing to be concerned with.

Such is the narrative.

I hear what you're saying davislane1, and everyone has the same view...and it would seem russia is placing it's interests above other countries (but we do the same here in the USA as well). What I don't understand is why? I get that Turkey is KNOWINGLY supporting terrorism and that's why they are being hatted on, but why russia? I must know why we hated them! lol :D

Yeah, it's funny how everyone is forgetting that the USA has been "bombing" ISIS for over a year now, but somehow left their illegal oil trading routes into Turkey completely intact. That is until Russia started moving into the area, at which point the Americans were scrambling to actually *DO* some real bombing. It seems Russia did more damage to ISIS finances (through the bombing of oil supply routes and equipment) on day one than the Americans did in an entire YEAR!! But instead of saying thank you, everyone is just pointing fingers and badmouthing the Russians. Which also begs the question, what the hell were the Americans doing in the area for an entire year?? Just dropping bombs into random, unrelated areas? Wasting tax payer dollars? What? Funny how CNN and other American news agencies never talk about this type of stuff. It's all Trump all the time over there now. They don't seem to care about "real" news, just he said she said garbage to boost their ratings.

Many still care about the disaster that is Ukraine / Crimea, so pent-up hate might well be the culprit you are looking for (and no, this is not a call to debate the whole mess, just a possible over-arching reason).

Back