Another evilMachines issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend that bought my old eMachines T2542 (I know- the quickest way to end a friendship...)

Anyway- last week it crapped out, and won't turn on. No fan, nothing. Acts like it isn't plugged in. They have 3 dogs and 2 cats, and when I opened up the case, it was packed with 1/2" of dander and fur on the bottom of the case. I think she static'd it out.

Figured maybe it was just the power supply, so I went to the local mom & pop computer shop and bought the reccommended "APower" 400W power supply.

Installed that, plugged everything in and it still does nothing. It is a switched power supply, so I would think (unless I'm wrong, which is entirely possible) that if it is switched on, but the computer is off the fan would work?

Is something else fried? If it is the motherboard, no sense in saving the thing, since I've heard nightmares about trying to get the evilMachines to reinstall XP using a new motherboard. She could really stand to not spend the money right now, the $25.00 power supply was stretch enough for her...

Any ideas?

TIA!

I'm going to guess the motherboard, since the same thing happened to my Emachines T2642 when it was only alittle over 2 years old. And I took it to a shop since I thought it was the motherboard but wanted it checked to see just in case and yeah it was the motherboard.

Darn. Thing is under a year old. I'll have to check out my warranty stuff.

evilMachines!

Thanks for the reply!

Oh then yeah its covered under the 1 year standard warranty, I was dumb and didnt get the extended needless to say I parted out the system. Although I need use the hard drive after my Gateway's hard drive died and gave the ram to a friend, so yeah I got something out of it

Just confirm what GeekieNick101 says.

When the psu failed, it has probably taken the mobo with it. This is a very common issue with eMachines.

Unfortunately, our forums are full of stories just like yours.

Regards Howard :)

Yes that is correct, but when the power supply goes in any system does it always mean its going to take the motherboard along with other items, since my custom pc's power supply just burnt out like last week and it was a new system as in new I mean it was on for like 5 hours if that brand new build and the power supply didnt take anything with it. Also I find it interesting that there is no burn marks on most of these eMachines system boards when they do blow out?

True lol, msot OEM systems are poorly made and dont last very long even if you pay $1000+ for some and they have limited upgradiblty

Well Im guessing its an HP pc the big pc makers you ahve to worry about is Emahcines duh and Dell for the most part and I would begin worring about Gateways since Gateway makes eMachines and since your system was less than 1 year old it would have been made by Gateway so I'm guessing things havent improved, I havent bought either a Gateway or Emachines recently so I wouldnt know. Right after I bought my Emachines Gateway bought them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back