Another Hijack This Question (need your help)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I'm new to Hijack This. My computer's been running quite slow lately, and when I startup, Windows Firewall is always turned off (although it prompts me to turn it back on)...and sometimes Symantec isn't enabled, either.

Please see my log file (attached) and advise! Other than fixing Windows Msgr items, I'm a bit lost. Thank you so much in advance.

p.s. I'm reading up on the hijacker thread instructions right now. Sorry I was too quick to post this! *hides*

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Run HJT with no other programmes open. Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.webshots.com/r/internal/start/client/RAND

O3 - Toolbar: hp toolkit - {B2847E28-5D7D-4DEB-8B67-05D28BCF79F5} - C:\HP\EXPLOREBAR\HPTOOLKT.DLL

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Other than the above your HJT log is clean.

One of the best things you can do to speed up your computer, is to get rid of that resource hogging Symantec/Norton crapware.

The free AVG antivirus programme and either the free Zonealrm or the free Kerio firewall programmes are much better. You can get them HERE, HERE and HERE.

Once you`ve downloaded the above, disconnect from the net and uninstall your Symantec/Norton product from add remove programmes in your control panel. You may need to uninstall in several pieces, rebooting inbetween. Once you`ve completed the uninstall, install whichever firewall you chose, followed by AVG. Reboot your system the required number of times and reconnect to the net and run the AVG updates.

Go to add remove programmes in your control panel and uninstall anything you don`t need or use.

Click start/run and type msconfig into the run box and hit the enter key. When the windows appears click on the startup tab, disable anything you don`t want to start with windows and click apply/ok. You will be prompted to restart your system. Once your system has rebooted, you will see a window that says you have used msconfig to make changes etc. Check the box that says not to run msconfig the next time you start your system and click ok.

Then, download and run the Ccleaner programme from HERE. Run the programme two or three times with no browsers open.

Do a disk defrag twice and see if your system is any faster.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of haasome only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Great! Many thanks, Howard. I AM quite tired of Symantec and have used AVG at a previous job and remember liking it. I can't wait to get my hands on my computer when I get home tonight... I'll let you know how it goes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back