Another Task List Question - Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tubes

First posting on here so Hello to you all!

This may or may not be a problem but I have noticed that I have a background process running on my PC called 'Support.exe'.

I have searched on Google and I am alarmed at the fact this may be a virus/worm of some description :(

Is this a valid process in any circumstances or do I have a problem? And if so does anyone know how to get rid of it because I regularly run Norton Anti-Virus (up to date) and Adaware and nothing is showing up from this.

Thanks

Is Ad-Aware up to date also? You need to download definition updates for that just like AV.

Just kill the process. If nothing breaks find out where it is loaded at startup and disable it.

Cheers for that.

Yes, I updated Adaware just the other day and keep it updates although not as often as my anti-virus.

I presume I would need to disable it through 'administrative tools - services' but will I be able to identify it in there as it will not just say 'support.exe'

Also, do you know if it is a virus/worm/trojan because I would really like to get rid of it if possible rather than just disabling it.

Thanks

It probably isn't a service although you can look in servics also. Best bet would be to look at the startup entris in msconfig or the startup foilder in your start menu.

If you find out where it is started and disable the thing then it doesn't matter what it is. If it isn't running then it can't do anything. If you do a bit more research into the registry then you can find out where is the exe that is actually run and you can go delete it.

Thanks Nodsu

I have a utility called RegScrubXP which finds any rogue registry entries.

Do you think this may root it out?

RegScrub only finds erroneus entries but since that Support.exe runs OK then it probably won't be found.

Just a quick question.....I don't see a location for you in your profile, but do you by chance run on Charter Broadband? They've got auto-installed "support" software that could fit that description. It's not really needed unless you try to get online diagnostics.

Just curious.

The support.exe file could be legit...you should try downloading msconfig and disabling it at startup. If your computer runs fine then it's probably OK to keep turned off.

Do you have a Dell? If so, go to answersthatwork.com, click on "task list", then "S", & read what's listed for Support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back