Antivirus pro 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoke157

Today my laptop restarted on it's own. When it booted back up I had a red circle with a white x in my taskbar. It has a pop up message that says I have been infected with spyware. My AVG did not start and will not open up, neither will spybot or AVG antispyware. I tried to uninstall spybot and reinstall but it will not connect to the server to reinstall. Ad-aware will open but not update. Please help. I have attached my hjt log. i had to rename it dothis for it to open.
Thank you.

Hi Smoke

First off I am new to this Board . DO NOT mistake that as I am inexperienced. I have over 5000 posts on other boards, have been doing this for 30 years and do it professionally for a living.

Someone responded to a prompt from a web browser that said tht you have Virus's and to download AntiVirus 2009 to fix it!

Never ever ever respond to a prompt or popup about fixing a Virus or Malware while browsing. It is not done like that.

You are lucky you can even boot at all.

Since you can boot to the Desktop but no Internet lets hope Safe Mode Networking will allow Internet access.

This is a very bad boy so follow these directions carefully.

So here is what to do.:

While booting begin tapping the F8 key and see if you can get the boot menu. If so select Safe Mode with Networking.

If you can get Safe Mode with Networking then hopefully you will have Internet access.

Safe Mode without Networking will not allow Internet access..

If you can get into Safe Mode networking when rebooting F8 every time back to Safe Mode networking and do not allow back to normal mode until I tell you. If it does get back to normal mode it may reverse what we have done.

If you have Internet access begin below, a couple of these programs will ask you to reboot. Decline to reboot until all is finished and you are told to do so, at the end of this post.

One other thing you are using an old HJT uninstall it only after you can download the new from the 8 steps. Until you can get the new it is better than nothing.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D/L Xclean_Micro
http://www.xblock.com/download/xclean_micro.exe

Needs no install, run it delete all it finds decline to reboot on each item found, until the program finishes then reboot after all the below is finisted.

Xclean will run minimized and will pop up a window if it finds anything. If it finds nothing it will exit.

Please make a note of what it found if any as this might indicate a deeper Malware diag.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Then...

Go here Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions

Do everything here slowly and carefully do all 8 steps with the folowing exceptions.

In Step 1.

Since you are in Safe mode do not attempt to install a Virus Scanner or Firewall. But do make sure the Windows Firewall is on even if you have another Firewall for now.

If you do have an installed Virus scanner, it will not be in the system tray bottom right, so go to Start-Programs to find it Update then do full Scan.

After doing all 8 steps reboot again to Safe Mode Networking and then post all the requested logs.

All the above depends on booting to Safe Mode Networking if that don't work get back and we will take other steps to get up.

But once you can connect this post should be first to be done.

Your ball!

Mike

thanks for responding. I can connect to the internet it just won't allow the av programs to connect. also i am running malwarebytes at the moment. should i stop that and do what you said? it has found 2 infections so far. thanks

No let it finish that is one of the 8 steps anyway were you able to update it?

Post the log if you can.

When you do reboot, go to Safe Mode Networking and continue with my last post.

Since you are now running in normal mode when in Safe Mode Networking run MalwareBytes again and even again until it comes up clean or will not clean something!

You may skip the MalwareBytes in the 8 steps for now but I may request another run/log later.

Mike

it found and fixed 23 problems. i am re-installing spybot now. avg is back up and running and the problem seems fixed. i will update mbam and run until its clean. thank you for your help.

OK you are doing it right but don't get overconfident. Get me the Malwarebyes log before running it again.

Then as in my last post run MWBAM again to confirm it comes up clean. If you are running from normal mode then reboot once before running MWBAM again Preferably in Safe mode.

But I behoove you to do the the 8 steps less MalwareBytes since you have ran it twice already if you are doing as I say.

Confirm to me you ran it updated and Full scan. Browse to Program Files\Malwarebytes folder and open the first log and post it back to us before running again as it will clear the first log and I want to see what was in it.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back