Any and all help welcome!!!!!

By jbrunet6
Jun 10, 2005
  1. hi all i bought an older computer i am not exactly sure of all the specs, i formated the old drive as it was no good and i want to install windows 98 SE with my cd-rom I keep geting these messages, boot from ATAPI CD-ROM Failure, or Boot from CD-ROM and then no response, also i am getting a missing operating sysytem message, i am pretty sure i have everything hooked up alright and the computer is reading the hd and the is picking up the rom but I cant install I have tried every :hotouch: thing i can think of if someone has any thoughts or a similar situation any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks pleasee feel free to email me.
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

First go HERE and download a Windows 98se boot disk. Write this to a floppy.

Go HERE for instructions on how to install Windows 98.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:
  3. jbrunet6

jbrunet6 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I decide to switch the drives i knw have an operating system, but no programs are appearing in the add/remove programs. all that is listed is the delete unistall and windows??? also it will not detecd my mouse i know the mosue works because I used it on my this computer. If you cant help that is fine i jst thoght i would check this place out
  4. howard_hopkinso

Is the mouse connected via the ps/2 socket or usb?

What type of mouse is it?

If you go to my post HERE there is a link to the free Everest programme, that will give you lots of info about your system.

Regards Howard :)
  5. IronDuke

IronDuke TS Rookie Posts: 856

You know you have an operating system - which one. After you've followed Howard's advice you can fill in some of the 'don't knows' in your profile and someone will be able to help.
  6. jbrunet6

Thanks all

I just switch my mouses and everything seems ok thanks all, i lost alot of programs but i will just have to reinsatll them i eneded up using an old backed up registry. Thanks all I appeciate it ;) ;) ;)
  7. IronDuke

Glad you're fixed. It would be a good idea to follow Howard's advice so that you can fill out the 'unknowns' in your profile whilst you're trouble free.
  8. Spike

Spike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,168

Hmmm. funny things are mice!

I remember having a problem which looked like my computer had completely died. It turned out after 10 mins of looking to be a bent pin in the ps2 mouse connector.

I don't suppose anybody would happen to know why mice in particular seem to be able to cause rediculous problems like this?
  9. IronDuke

They're rodents and rodents are pests. :)

Can't say that I've had any problems with mice.
  10. howard_hopkinso

Hiya Spike.

I think it`s probably due to the ammount of ware and tear that a mouse gets.

I`ve had several mice die on me over the years. I now have a wireless optical mouse which I`ve had for about tewelve months and so far so good. The only problem I`ve had is when the batteries die lol.

BTW jbrunet6 glad you got your problem sorted, and thanks for letting us know. :)

Regards Howard :) :)
  11. Spike

Spike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,168

:) this is very true howard, but you misunderstand (or perhaps I badly explained- more like it).

I could probably stick a screwdriver in the serial port and the pc would switch on, but a single bent pin on a ps2 mouse can make it look like your mobo or cpu has fried. I don't understand why a mouse can have such a major effect, far more than other peripherals.
  12. howard_hopkinso

Sorry mate. yes I did misunderstand doh.

No I don`t know why a mouse would cause such a hugh problem like that either.

As IronDuke says "They're rodents and rodents are pests." Now there`s a statment I can`t disagree with lol.

Regards Howard :p
  13. jbrunet6

I have yet to set up the net on the other one, so I really did not want to take all the cords from this one and scan it. I will scan this one though. Maybe you can tell me how I get the computer I have to connect to the other one so my son has internet. I know it has something to do with the network cord but do I need a rooter or something? Thaaks all youare the best!!!! oh yeah i have rogers hio sooed cable modem. and i belive bith computers have network cards.
  14. IronDuke

If both computers have ethernet ports (very likely if they're 5 years old) all you need is a crossover cable. Plenty of instructions here.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.