TechSpot

Any bad processes running?

By Akai
Oct 18, 2007
  1. I don't know, but it just seems so many processes are running on my computer now, plus theres like 4 "svhosts" running and just a lot of processes that I don't recognize. So I thought they might be maleware or something. Here's a screenshot:

[​IMG]

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

I can`t see anything nasty in there, but you can always post a HJT log if you want and I`ll give it a quick check.

Regards Howard :)

3. Akai

Akai TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 119

Sure, here is my HJT log. But if I can ask, do you know what "mDNSResponder, shwiconEM.exe" are, and why I have 4 "svchosts" are running?

4. howard_hopkinso

Your HJT log is clean.

You actually have 5 svchost.exe entries running. That`s perfectly normal and nothing to worry about.

mDNSResponder.exe

shwiconEM.exe

As you can see from the above, those processes are safe.

If you want to speed up your system, see this thread HERE.

5. Akai

Thank you for your help Howard, appreciate it.

Want to ask one more question, so I don't have to make a new thread. But is it necessary to have a Firewall (I use Comodo) if you have a router. I know some people said don't worry about having one if you have a router. Just thought I'd get your opinion. Thanks again.

6. howard_hopkinso

I`d say it is necessary.

Having a software and hardware firewall is just about the bets thing to have.

7. Akai

Thanks, appreciate the help you gave Howard.

8. claw

claw TS Rookie Posts: 28

Only to add, if you don't know processes running at the moment on your PC, use File Research Center, which do a system scan and says what processes are unsafely and not

Regards ;)

9. Akai

I was searching the web for some processes that I didn't know. And I searched "crss.exe" and almost every result on google said it was a virus. So I searched for it on my computer (with Search) but it can't find it. But it's running under my processes, so I don't know what to do.

10. ZoSo_kg

ZoSo_kg TS Rookie Posts: 20

I had crss.exe before and it is a virus

11. howard_hopkinso

That`s because you searched for the wrong file name.

csrss.exe is not a virus, but is part of the Windows OS.

crss.exe on the other hand is nasty.

The one that`s running in your task manager is csrss.exe. Just check your facts and first lol.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.