macx

I've got Firefox (new version) -
email is in Excite -

I've got anti spam set on high on both

am getting absolutely indundated with spam

is there any effective spam blocker I can add
to Firefox / Excite?

Thanks!

Hum.. Firefox is a web browser, all it does is display what the Excite server shows - there is no spam filtering you can do there.

Apparently Excite spam protection sucks. Maybe you should consider using something else? GMail has a pretty good spam filter..

Yeah, I just incl Firefox so folks know what combo I'm using.

I really don't want to change from Excite, been using it for probly
10 years and all th various forums etc have that email listed,
would have to change so much.

It looked like, judging from the search results on TS, that there are
additional spam blockers that can be employed - just looking for a
good one. any time there's so many choices, there are bound to
be some that are much more effective and less troublesome than
others.

There is nothing you can do with webmail. From your point of view, it's just another webpage - the contents have already been determined by the webmail engine on the server. Once you see your mailbox, all the e-mailing and spam filtering has already happened and you can't change a thing.

It would take some mighty AI and a very complex program to somehow filter spam through the Excite webmail engine (and it would break the instant Excite decides to make changes to their site).

What you can do is either use the "Junk" button in Excite (if there is such a thing) to teach it what is spam and what isn't (and hope that it actually works) or sign up for the Excite POP3 access and use a dedicated mail program that can do spam filtering.

I suggest using multiple email accounts. 1 for shopping, 1 for personal, 1 for school, 1 for work, etc.... that's what I do.

Not much you can do with website email unless you have a paid subscription that allows you to download to POP3 clients like outlook or thunderbird.

I use thunderbird with my paid yahoo email. I also get increased protection both online and thunderbird has an excellent junk mail filter.

Paid yahoo also allows disposable link extenders. You can set up temporary links when shopping, then dispose of them so retailers can't sell your primary email address to others.

gmail is also good. But I don't care for the visual layout of gmail.

hotmail junk mail filter is about worthless.

never used excite so I can't comment.

SPAM usually gets generated when you post your email address in a public
forum, chat room, OR
you CC: a distribution list.

Inform your friends to use the BCC: instead of the CC: if the elect to forward
your mail
EVERYONE will be much happier :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back