Any EXCEL experts out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raebabe

I have a major problem. I was tasked with updating the inventory of the base because it is sorely out of date. My Chain of Command wants a very large amount of work done by today and while I was updating the EXCEL database one of the MSgt's in charge called for a serial # of a printer. I havn't worked that much with EXCEL before and I was under the impression that if I highlighted the colum of buildings and sorted it from a to z by pressing the button on the toolbar that that would sort not just that colum but everything else with it by what it said in that colum. I was wrong but I didn't realize it at first. I thought that the button was a shortcut to what is in the data downdrop because it looks the same.

The cherry on top is that someone came in just after I'd done this and I ended up having to log off my machine. I didn't want to lose all that work I'd done since I'd last saved it so I saved it without hitting the undo button becuase at that time I hadn't realized my misteak. When I logged back in I noticed that what was supposed to say storage said whitehouse and that is when it dawned on me that I'd done a big boo-boo.

My question is this. Is there any way to revert back to the database I'd saved earlier this morning?

There are over 600 entries in this database and right now the only way I can see of fixing it is if I were to go by the hard copies of the forms I had my users fill out look at every single serial # and change the locations individually but that will take me a tedious amount of time and to them that is unacceptable. Can anyone please help me think of ideas?

BTW- I have already called my co-worker who does the server back-ups to see if he would be able to give me a copy that had been saved a few days ago but he said that to do that he would have to be able to put a new server on the network and that is not possible at this time. So I'm SOL on that idea.

You can do this only if you have configured Office to make backup documents. This is not on by default so.. Good luck with the hard copies :p And next time you start working with a document, make a copy of the original.

I would have but I just got stuck with this today. It turned out that the afore mentioned MSgt had a copy on his HD that was only a few days old. Hey, I'd rather have lost a few days worth of work than a few months ;0)

Thank you

In the future you might also want to utilize the 'Track Changes' option under the 'Tools' menu...this will put a small box around all cells that have had changes made to them. By holding the pointer over that cell it will tell you what change was made. The boxes stay even after you have saved the document. Going back to 'Tools', 'Track Changes' you'll be given the option to accept or reject the changes made.

Select your column of buildings, go to Data -> Sort, then it will ask to stay with current selection or expand. You want expand. Then sort by that column of buildings (you have that option on the screen you get after clicking expand) and sort ascending. That will put your buildings in alphabetical order and keep their corresponding rows with them.

you can also do that by clicking on any entry in the column you wish to sort and clicking the a-z icon (on the standard toolbar)- it will sort by alpha, date, or numerical depending on how you have the cells formatted.

Counting Cells with multiple criteria-with wild card

By using formula how can I count the all the Cells in second column starting with charcter MC and associatioed with SDH only in first column as shown below.

SDH /TTAC
SDH /MCJeddah
SDH /MCRiy
Envir /MCJeddah
Envir /MCRiy
Power /MCRiy
Envir /DDCJed
Envir /TNOCFM
Synch /TNOCFM
Power /TNOCCPM
Power /Mcabha
SDH /TTAC