Any first person shooter recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Gallop

Hi, Can anyone recommend a few First person Shooter games that I can run on my very slow [450 mhz] PC?
I'm running Windows XP which will not run any of my older games. It's a shame because I really enjoyed them and my PC is just not fast enough for the newer ones.

In the '60s, we marched with signs
NO MORE WAR TOYS​
I still think it's the right idea (sorry for the politics :)

get rainbowsix rogue spear best FPS ever made over 100 people at a time still play online, i played online since it came out in 98' till like 6 months ago on my p3 500 no problem but people still play and ladder on www.zone.com and gamespy arcade great game very addictive multiplayer runs fine on 56k + u can pick it up for like 8$ www.cybersportsladder.net if u wanted to find the competitve people

Tribes1 and 2, tribes1 can be had free from teh innerweb, if you google it. These are my fav games. T1 came out in 1998, runs on voodoo cards and any card that will do opengl, and T2 came out in like 2000. Both games will play fine on a tnt2 era card and a p2 450. A p2 450 with enough ram, say 256megs or more, will do xp just fine.

While I feel toy guns have no real place in the world as kids get shot by cops when they're mistaken for real, playing war on a computer is another matter. Thinking that games cause deranged behaviour may be a mistake, deranged behaviour may have a physical cause, as well as resulting from use of free will.

Thief : Dark Project / Thief : The Metal Age & System Shock II are perfect for that machine.

old but fun

If you want to try something really old but fun, you could try Quake II. It has terrible graphics, but it's pretty fun. You also might be able to get Medal of Honor Allied Assualt to run.

spartanslayer said:
If you want to try something really old but fun, you could try Quake II. It has terrible graphics, but it's pretty fun. You also might be able to get Medal of Honor Allied Assualt to run.

Actully you need at least 700 mhz athlon or 733 mhz pentium III for to run medel of honer I have it and that is what it says the requirerments are.

i would recommend something like counter strike 1.6 and/or counter strike condtion zero. they dont require great system specs to run decent my buddie plays both of them on 56k and its actually playable. thousands of people still play both of them there still extremely popular and i doudt they will die anytime soon (one of the most popular fps games out). you can pick them up from steam for 20 bux and you get both of them games plus contion zero deleted scenes. www.steampowered.com

No You Don't!

I ran Medal of Honor on a 450MHz Celeron system with a tiny video card, and 256MB ram. With all the visuals on low, it ran ok. And for only $10, its a lot of game.

my reply

You know the funny,thing is I had a pc like that once upon a time,complete with a riva tnt 2 64mb card.I had the same mghz as well,the best games i probably played and enjoyed were Quake 2,Heretic,Duke Nukem,Medal of Honour and System shock 2 and last but not least doom.Those were probably all my machine could manage!

Quake 2 definitely - with all the expansions. It's one of my fav games of all time. Also look for glQuake (Quake I) - it will fly on just about anything and still look good.

Quake 3 would run like a breeze on that machine.
also try DeusEx! I cant believe nobody mentioned it yet.
Unreal tournament is also being played by a large group online these days.
and if youre into diehard loading times and some occasionally lag -
try Max Payne.

gl&hf

have you tried taking the old games and right clicking on the setup and install files. clicking on properties and then click the compatibility tab, change the os to something like 95 or 98. some older games take to this and play well in xp. if not, a bargin bin game called deadly dozen is good, same with the early delta force games. hope that helped.

icantwinn had the right idea. How come no one mentioned the original Half Life series? I don't know the requirements, but the single player Half Life and its mods are quite addicting.
Download Steam for free, buy one of the packages, and you can get Half Life Source and Blue Shift, among others. As single player they are crazy fun. Then get into the multiplayer Counter Strike Source. Though you may not get Source to run good, the original non-source aught to play fine.
Good games, still haven't beaten HL1, to hard for me!

Plus if you buy an "upper" game package from Steam, you have the added benefit of gaining the new HL2, Source mods and so forth. Thus if you ever get a better computer, you get a better game to use, right off the batt.

icantwinn had the right idea. How come no one mentioned the original Half Life series? I don't know the requirements, but the single player Half Life and its mods are quite addicting.
exactly what i thought. not only is half-life a long, extremely entertaining SP game, but it is great for online gaming and has a multitude of multiplayer mods. unless your video card is absolute crap or you have less than 128MB of ram, half-life is a safe bet. you can get a lisence key for HL for $10 (USD) and d/l steam. that's stuff you'd never get tired of playing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back