ANy Ideas on how to speed up a Dial Up Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

GWillford

Hello again.

Can anyone tell me if there is anyway to speed up an internet connection. I am on a slow dial up connection and since I live out in the Boonies it is the only way that I can connect unless I want to pay $100.00 dollars a month for Satellite. I can currently connect at a Blazing 26,400 Kbps. and I was just wondering if there was any software or maybe something that I can talk to the Phone company about anything that might help me get a little faster. I know that I am asking for a miracle but I thought if anyone on this planet would know it would be the Men and Women at Tech Spot. Like they say a little Flattery goes a long way:D . Thank you for your time a effort.

Greg

- Thread moved to proper forum
Didou

you can look for a program called Cablenut(don't let the name fool you, it works for all types of connections) It will help you to set your internet settings such as the TCP/IP, RWIN, etc to the best values for your connection type, this might improve your speed a bit, but mostly it will improve your throughput to get the most out of the connection you have.
You probably get that slow of a speed because you are "in the boonies". You likely have many phone switches between you and your ISP and may also have line noise(this would likely also cause frequently dropped connections) I'd recommend you test the line and run Cablenut, not much more you can do for dialup.

Also... are you sure you have a 56k dial up modem? If you just have a 28.8 or even a 33.6 thats a pretty respectable speed.

Thanks Guys. I am sure that I have a 56K External Modem with the latest drivers installed. Thanks anyway for the reply

He's in the same situation I am, broadband simply isn't avaiable where he lives. I live 6 miles out of the nearest town, which has just over 2,000 people in it. The nearest town with more than 5,000 is about 35 miles away, anything over 20k is probably 80+ miles away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back