Any Pop-up blocker suggestions?

By Bigfatgoalie
Mar 4, 2007
  1. Hi all,

I recently uninstalled Norton in favour of AVG and Zone alarm but as far as I can tell neither has a pop-blocker does it??

Therefore does anyone know any good, easy to use pop-up blockers that I can get that wont interfear and are compatible with AVG and ZOne alarm.

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

All current browsers have pretty decent popup blockers that catch all but the sneakiest ones. Just don't go to sites that use nasty tactics for their ads.

In my experience, any web filtering done by the firewall sucks and breaks many things for you. (Why did you drop Norton BTW?)
  3. Bigfatgoalie

Bigfatgoalie TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 56

I run IE, is there anything in there that I can activate to stop pop ups or is that done automatically?, I mean I still get pop ups even from sites like Moneysupermarket and other similars.

How can I check if I have pop up blocking activated?

I dropped Norton because of the advice from pretty much everyone on here, its dead slow and my virus definitions were so out of date, it just was not picking up anything any more.
  4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Personally, I think you`d be better off using Firefox, rather than IE. It already has a built in popup blocker. However, if you insist on using IE, the Yahoo toolbar has a built in popup blocker.

You could also install a popup blocker programme. HERE are a few examples.

Regards Howard :)
  5. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,383   +105

Well I use IE, but not without some help:

1. Spywareblaster (freeware)
    2. Ad Muncher (shareware)
    3. Peerguardian2 (freeware)
    4. Manual run of Advanced Windows Care V2 (freeware)

I set the master cache to 80MB
    Privacy for cookie control to Prompt / Prompt /Override /Allways allow session cookies.
  6. halo71

halo71 TS Rookie Posts: 1,090

As already said, use Firefox or Opera instead of IE. I get very few pop-ups with Firefox and virtually none with Opera.
  7. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,383   +105

IE SP2 has it PB and Ad Muncher does a fine jobs and the ones IE doesn't catch. I don't have any more popups.. I rather use IE than FOX, I have it on one PC. Can't use it on alot sites that require only IE.
  8. zipperman

zipperman TS Rookie Posts: 1,179   +7

IE7 has one.Upgrade.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.