Anyone have a TiVo???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasm66

If you have one of these wonderful little home entertainment gadgets, I found a great guide on www.tomshardware.com that anyone who is handy with a screwdriver and reasonably confident with Linux can follow to fit a new, bigger hard drive inside your TiVo with......

tivo.jpg

Getting The Most Out Of Your TiVo

We will walk you through a step-by-step process of how to add more storage space to your TiVo, and along the way we will try to give you some additional insight into TiVo and its underlying technology. We strongly urge you read this article carefully through to the end before attempting anything discussed within this article. It is also important to note that if you do not have previous experience in adding a hard drive to a PC, then this process most likely isn't something that you should try. In this case, find someone who has more knowledge of such things, and ask them to give you a hand with your TiVo upgrade.

http://www4.tomshardware.com/howto/02q1/020228/index.html

Originally posted by Arris
Note: Image references from Toms don't show up :)

What, are you talking about the http://www4.tomshardware.com/howto/02q1/020228/images/tivo.jpg I embedded in my post?

Well, it is showing up just fine on my work machine, home machine and several other office machines.....

I wholeheartedly apologise to the rest of the Internet if this turns out to be some localised phenomenon.

I am aware of other images from Tom's server not being displayed and a Tom's Hardware logo being shown in its place, but when I would not have posted the image, would I??

I do actually check my posts when I have made them to make sure that everything looks right and there are no massive spelling mistakes or grammatical errors, broken links, etc....

Here was me getting all exciting and thinking that you had some TiVo upgrading info to post!

the pictures work for me...that's a pretty funny mod, i've never really thought of doing that. We dont have a TiVo so i can't try, and if we did my dad wouldn't let me go within 10 feet of it with a screwdriver. I'd have to have him get me my own and then MAYBE he'd let me do it to his if he felt it was useful which im sure he would. :D

Hmmm I get the Tomshardware logo.
Have you actually gone to the linked article Phatman?
I would think its one of those cache issues.
Now that I've been to the article it works fine, but when I first opened up the tomshardware article I had to refresh as it was showing the cached image from when I had tried to view the image from this post....
Also I am aware you would have checked your post out Phantasm, its just I have been caught out by the image displaying ok and then if I close down all IE instances and look again its not displayed properly.

PS: Phantasm, I would have PM'd you about it but your PM box is always full so I couldn'... Sorry I didn't actually post some TiVo info :(

Originally posted by Arris

PS: Phantasm, I would have PM'd you about it but your PM box is always full so I couldn't...

Too many folks asking for favours and wanting to know things, methinks. I've emptied it now.

Hey gang,

I also read a great article on this in Maxumum PC. They have also posted it on their web site with pics and links to other site with guides. i personnally do not have TiVo but here is the articles for you guys. Enjoy !

Max PC TiVo Fix

Im gonna get Tivo next month. It seems that I should buy the least expensive one and then do the harddrive upgrade myself. I was surprised to see the article in Maximum PC. Tivo manufacturers must be pissed.

Yeah I have a friend who's TiVo is on the blink and I keep wanting to ask him if I can "fix" it for him....I know he would say no thought....technology scares him....

Originally posted by boeingfixer
Yeah I have a friend who's TiVo is on the blink and I keep wanting to ask him if I can "fix" it for him....I know he would say no thought....technology scares him....

If its still under warranty I would return it but if its not then what do you have to loose from opening it and seeing what can be done....

Tom's hardware guide accepted, I think that its likely you could plug the TiVo HDD and another HDD into a PC and use drive image from powerquest to write one onto the other....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back