Anyone know of a free BOOT DISC (CD-ROM)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroCount

I am having trouble with the computer I built and I need the WXP Home CD to boot, but I dont have one (I hate you Compaq), will a Boot-disc do the job I need done found here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic8356.html

If so, do any of you know where I can download it for free? Or of a retailer that has it for somewhat cheap? (Looking at Ebay now).

Thanks!

You can`t download Windows Xp for free, because that would be piracy.

If you do a Google search for Windows XP home, you will find lots of places where you can buy it. Just shop around untill you find something that suits your pocket.

I don`t recommend getting it off of Ebay, as you never really know what you`re getting.

Regards Howard :)

Howard's right. Even if you had some sort of restore disc like the one packaged with the Compaq systems, you prettu much may be SOL because they package their stuff to work with that particular hardware, so your stuff may have a problem with those types of restore disks. And if you purchase a copy of XP from a less than reputable type place then you may risk loosing all your stuff later on when you realize the 30 day registration period is up and the only way to log Windows back on is to wipe clean. That would cause yopu some pretty heavy headaches I would say. Not worth it. Id just bite the bullet and purchase the home edition and at least, you own it, it's yours.

My 2 Cents

I am not trying to get a bootleg copy or anything like that. I bought a home desktop PC (Compaq) and it came with WXP Home installed on the system but it didn't come with the XP CD!

So, I am SH-out of luck. And I don’t want to pay for Home, if I can pay for Professional, for not that much more.

Now I have to figure out how to Back all my stuff up..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back