Anyone knows of a list of Run commands?

By drpeppercan
Mar 8, 2006
  1. By Run I mean when you hit Start, then Run..., or its shortcut: Windows Key+R. Those

Like: msconfig, wordpad, notepad, etc

Thanks guys,

2. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,094

Run commands as you put it come in a couple of catagories CMD.exe has it's own operational commands. there is also Dos . the items you mentioned are individual programs . You can start almost any program on your computer from the run box.
    Open the Command Prompt and type " help " ( no quotations) This will list all of different commands.
    You can go and check out the Xp Resource Kit programs
    (msconfig is just one)
  3. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

In command prompt, type echo $PATH. Those are the directories from where you can run files directly using "Run..." without having to include the path.

In addition to .exe -files, there are a lot of different filename extensions Windows treats "differently", such as .msc (Management Console Snap-in) and .cpl (Control Panel addon). It's also possible to launch executables even if you rename them with some obscure extension, if you just include the extension when run.
  4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

You might also want to take a look HERE, for a list of useful run commands.

Regards Howard :)
  5. hadoud76

hadoud76 TS Rookie Posts: 41

yeah I know what you mean:
    control panel
    windows(or win XP)
    and any file in your windows/(win XP)
    your hard disk : C: or D:
    your CD drive: E: or F:
    your removable disk: G: or H:
    your floppy disk: A: or B:
    I'm in love with this run thing