Anyone Played Thief:Deadly Shadows Demo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDoMM

Hi, ive nver played any of the Thief games, but i recently downloaded the Thief : DS demo, and its absolutely superb, its completely different to how i was expecting it, it is in fact my favourite Stealth game, even better than what i had previously held as my favourite stealth game, the old PS1 game "Tenchu" (remember that)?

I didnt like Splinter Cell, too much scripted AI and relying on electronic gizmo's, but in Thief, its as pure as a stealth game can get, i'll deffinately be buying it.

Sucking at a game is a perfectly valid reason for not liking it- this is why bowling sucks so much.

I played the original Thief way back when, and liked it though stealth has never been one of my strong points in fps games- thats why god invented the circle-strafe ;)

Originally posted by acidosmosis
I tried it last night, but I didn't like it :-|

I tried the demo too, and didn't care for it to much, although I will probably get it, just not right now. I imagine it's a great game, I just haven't gotten into it yet.

I like Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow, MY favorite stealth game, especially with all the gadgets and stuff.

I actually reinact my fav stealth games in real life, i paint my face black with shoe polish and wear my dyed black pyjamas then stalk dog walkers, mwa ha ha haaaaaa

I like blowing things up in a really big way. Sneaking around doesnt do much for me unless it is sneaking around trying to blow things up in a really big way. Creaping up behind a dude to garrote him and then drag his body into a closet is lame imho- now putting a .223 in his eye socket from 1500meters is my idea of stealth;)

No. I didn't suck at it. I just hated it. Pure and simple. I thought it was pretty crappy to be honest.

I meant to download it last night but got cought up running around blowing things up in Call Of Duty. :D

That and running around slicing up Nazi's in Bloodrayne.
Very entertaining game. Good for letting out pent up emotions.. :grinthumb

Download it Arris, its really very good, it has a nice pace about it, the graphics are pretty sweet (nice shaders) bot AI could be better because most of them follow scripted routes and they cannot see you at all even if your standing 3 foot away fromt hem in slightly dim'd light, but it makes it all the more fun. The Lockpicking is good too, im no lock picking person but im sure its pretty realistic (if a bit tedious) but theres nothing quite like firing a water arrow at some guys torch extinguishing it, then sneaking up behind him in his confusion and beating him ove rthe back of the head, its like that in the game too :)

Reply with your thoughts of it

It did look very nice. Can tell its using same engine as Deus Ex : Invisible War as the lighting and shader usage looks identical. Looks nice but the motion of guards running about isn't very fluid and the AI didn't seem as smart as the reviews/hype/other information suggested. Also the fact I managed to die once and still even with a ragdoll physics engine in use, get my corpse legs stuck inside a wall. Overall I was a little underwhelmed. Maybe the full game will have a better impact :rolleyes:

PS: and yes the lock picking was a little tedious. And lighting up usable objects bright blue was a bit severe in my opinion.

I'm surprised not to see Didou on this thread.

I'm a Thief fan thanks to him and have finished the first two games.

This one looks a lot better overall but needs some tweaking though. The menu / options interface sucks a lot IMO.

by the way, www.ttlg.com forums 'Through the Looking Glass' which are related to the company who created the first two games has very nice threads and resources regarding the tweaking of Thief 3.

highly recommended.

well, dont worry all you people who dont like it, i'll still write a 5,000 word review on it as soon as i get a copy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back