AOL 9.0 VPN connection problems

By dmarkdixon
Apr 16, 2006
  1. :evil: Hi everyone
    Hope someone can help me out here. This is the first time I have used Techspot so please be patient.
    I have recently upgraded to AOL 9.0 and since doing so I am having problems with my VPN connection to my workplace. AOL does not support VPN so I have to connect through Internet Explorer. When I initially connect everything goes fine and I can access my workplace server and use it without any problems, however after a minute or so AOL shuts down and I loose the connection. From what I understand this is due to the modems idle time which is default set to 60 seconds. The modem is a Thompson Speedtouch576. I have looked for this on my system and cant find the driver to change the idle time setting. Its a real pain because it prevents me working from home and I am stuck with it for 1 year as this is the minumum subscription to AOL.
    Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
  2. Peddant

Peddant TS Rookie Posts: 1,446

You`ve typed (or whatever it is for speedtouch)into IE and gone into the WAN settings
    and you can`t find anything like "maximum idle time" or "disonnect timeout" ?On most routers it`s near
    PPPoE password/service name.etc
  3. dmarkdixon

dmarkdixon TS Rookie Topic Starter

no not tried that. how do i find the number for my modem?
  4. Peddant

Peddant TS Rookie Posts: 1,446

I assume you tried that number and it didn`t work.

According to this - Port forwarding Speedtouch the default is with admin as the user name and pass as the password.
  5. dmarkdixon

dmarkdixon TS Rookie Topic Starter

Bingo. I followed your suggestions and I dont quite know how but I am now sorted or so it would appear anyway. Thanks very much for your help.
  6. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

ugh! AOL? with all that bloatware? why bother?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.