AOL improving?

Spike

As a few of you may have worked out, my ISP is the dreaded AOL :D.

While I am locked into a broadband contract for the next 8 months, I think I may just go elsewhere next year. anyways....

It seems it's now possible, and has been for a few months now, to connect to AOL using PPPoE over TCP/IP (something like that anyway. lol) as opposed to using the AOL client software (which we all know really sucks).

This means, as I have seen first hand, that given a compatible modem, it is now possible to connect to the internet via aol from a Linux box, something which AOL was none too happy about previously, and also that AOL subscribers no longer have to use the client browser! (of course, it's still the only way to register in the first place!!!)

ALSO, remember that it wasn't possible to use outlook, or similar mail programs to read and send AOL email, due to their entirely different mail system? Well, Now AOL have an IMAP mail server, and thus you can now do it!!!

Well, I'm pleased. It's certainly soothed my ISP nightmare for the next 8 months to some extent. :D

Do you think AOL might be starting to come round to a sensible standpoint, and may eventually provide a halfway decent service?

I don't think AOL has ever been or ever will be sensible. It has recently been exposed(known and suspected by many for a while) that AOL software contains spyware.

AOL has never been anything but an *****s guide to the Internet. It is perfect for people who don't know what they are doing and have no desire to learn new things, but it is a burden to those who do.
I will stop now because I have nothing else nice to say about AOL.

More info on the AOL without the software for anyone interested:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,8276526~mode=flat

lol. It's only for about the past 6 months that I've been paying for my own internet connection (lucky me! heh heh)

I do wish somebody had told me about AOL before I signed up with them though. Sadly, my only advice was from my father, who was heavily singing their praises (still is, although I have no idea why!)

Spyware in the client I can deal with to some extent. What I hate about it more than anything else though, is the way it buries itself so deeply into your operating system. It only takes a small OS glitch sometimes to totaly screw up the AOL client, and a smaller one from the client to screw up your OS! lol

I mean, why can't they use a client that's more stand alone, sorta comparible to a NORMAL web browser? It does seem a little illogical.

I just read that thread, and noticed that the best way of doing it is halfway down the page! :)

Given that all AOL UK Broadband subscribers are supplied with BT Voyager, or BT Voyager 100 Modems...

1, Double click on the modems icon (two green arrows) in the system tray. (Or Start --> All Programs --> BT Voyager ADSL Modem)

2, Click Connect.

3, Enter <Screename>@aol.com (Exactly like your mail address)

4, Enter your password

5, click 'dial'

On the rare occasions that the dialing fails, simply click redial straight away, and it will connect.

When you are able to, run away from AOL like your life depended on it (not that you need me to tell you that, just my own venting)...and don't look back, lest you turn into a pillar of salt, or stone...or something like that...

Back