App outage leaves Tesla owners stranded, unable to start their vehicles

Jimmy2x

Staff
What just happened? Tesla owners around the world found themselves unable to connect to their vehicles from the mobile app on Friday. Initially reported in the U.S. and Canada, reports of the mobile app outage quickly spread across the globe to other owners in the company's European and Asian markets. The outage followed closely behind an upgrade to the company's mobile application, though no link between the two has been found at this time.

The Tesla app provides owners with the ability to start their vehicle, access various vehicle controls, schedule maintenance or assistance, and manage vehicle charging. Any inability to access the app can result in a major inconvenience, potentially leaving the unprepared owner stranded until connectivity is restored. Tesla owners may also carry the vehicle's key card or key fob to ensure they can access the vehicle at any time, regardless of app status.

According to a report by Electrek, the connectivity issue continued to gain traction as Friday afternoon progressed. A Twitter user and EV reporter from Seoul, South Korea, @hohocho, tweeted Tesla and Musk directly regarding the error message received when trying to connect to their vehicle:

After several hundred likes and retweets, Cho received a response directly from Elon Musk, who was personally looking into the matter. The Tesla CEO promptly responded, saying the company had identified the root cause of the issue and was restoring functionality.

Besides carrying the vehicle's key card/key fob, Tesla owners can plan ahead for this type of app unavailability by taking steps to ensure their phone can still be used as a key via the car's Bluetooth connection.

The outage event is not the first time Tesla owners have experienced an issue affecting access to their app and vehicles. In September 2020, the company's internal and external servers were brought down for several hours, preventing everything from order fulfillment to vehicle access.

Permalink to story.

LOL

I mean the reason why you want the app is convenience so you don't have to carry a key or card. But if this happens ONCE while you're out and about ending up stranded then it's a massive inconvenience negating the advantages.

It is essential you have the key on you. I personally couldn't rely on this technology when incidents like this can happen.

This is the deal breaker for me. I don't want anything that has to be connected to operated.
Did you even read the article? You don't need anything "connected" to use your Tesla. It's a CHOICE to use your phone to control entry, etc. If you're stupid enough to rely ONLY on your phone for everything then you deserve what you get. Kind of like how something is a "deal breaker" for you when you haven't bothered to spend thirty seconds to read the article to which you're replying.

This is the deal breaker for me. I don't want anything that has to be connected to operated.
Its very funny (or sad) when people that do not understand given technology think that others must have the problems they think it would cause based on their understanding... while in fact Tesla has physical cards as well - you just tap it on the door and it unlocks regardless of internet connection or phone availability ...

This is utter bs. You are literally a tech news website yet have no idea how tech works. Do you even attempt to check your information before spreading fake news? Not a single person was locked out of their cars. It was a network error, bluetooth still worked.

Considering most of their console is touchscreen, wasn't even on my radar as a potential buy.

But if I had the chance to have an optional app, I would use it optionally (always carrying a key). Too easy to get locked out at the least convenient time lol
I wouldnt even want an app. You have to clumsily take your gigantic phone (because small phones dont exist) out of your pocket, unlock it, open the app, and use it to start your car, as opposed to simply stepping inside and hitting the "on" button, because the keyless fob can just live in your pocket all day.

What is even the draw here?

I wouldnt even want an app. You have to clumsily take your gigantic phone (because small phones dont exist) out of your pocket, unlock it, open the app, and use it to start your car, as opposed to simply stepping inside and hitting the "on" button, because the keyless fob can just live in your pocket all day.

What is even the draw here?
WOW! Clueless! You don't take your phone out of your pocket (it connects to the car via Bluetooth and unlocks the door). You don't push a button, you just put it in gear. And 95% of all the controls on the touchscreen are available via voice control! You should really have some knowledge of what you are spreading falsehoods about!

WOW! Clueless! You don't take your phone out of your pocket (it connects to the car via Bluetooth and unlocks the door). You don't push a button, you just put it in gear. And 95% of all the controls on the touchscreen are available via voice control! You should really have some knowledge of what you are spreading falsehoods about!

He could also buy an iPhone mini

It has nothing to do with how much anyone knows.

It has everything to do with attacking something they don't like. It's not good enough anymore not to like something, now everyone needs to attack what they don't like. Doesn't matter if you come off as ignorant, even to the majority, as you'll always find some people who like your attack. And you're shielded from negative feedback in most places like this one with no Dislike option.

I think we've had enough personal comments in this thread. More comments of this nature will likely disappear into the ether. Thanks for your attention.

911, what is your emergency?

The battery in my car is dead and the power door locks don't work.

911 operator: CLICK!

Back