Apple announces iPad 2: improved design, price unchanged

Emil

Staff

Apple has announced the the iPad 2, the company's second-generation tablet. Just like its predecessor, the device will have the same pricing structure:

• WiFi version: 16GB ($500), 32GB ($600), and 64GB ($700)
  • 3G version: 16GB ($630), 32GB ($730), and 64GB ($830)

The device will start shipping on March 11, 2011 in the US. You will be able to get it in black or white from either AT&T or Verizon. On March 25, it will arrive in 26 other countries.

The iPad 2 is one-third thinner than the first-generation model at just 8.8mm thick. It weighs 1.3 pounds, making it lighter than the original iPad, which weighed 1.5 pounds.

The iPad 2 features a faster dual-core A5 processor which offers up to 9 times faster graphics processing, rear and front facing cameras for recording video, taking photos, and FaceTime video chat. Despite these extras, the power consumption will be the same according to Apple, and the device will sport the same 10-hour battery life.

Apple also detailed two accessories for the iPad 2. A $40 cable will offer mirrored HDMI video out to HDTVs for 1080p high-definition output and will also charge the device. There's also a $70 magnetic "smart cover," which covers the front of the device and locks it. Microfibers on the screen cover will reportedly clean the iPad 2 display, while magnets will automatically align the cover on the screen.

Apple CEO Steve Jobs also took the opportunity to announce that iBooks now has over 200 million registered accounts and has paid out $200 million dollars to publishers. Cupertino sold 15 million iPads in 2010 during the nine months after the launch.

Permalink to story.

ramonsterns said:
I think I will wait for the iPad 17 in two years before I try it.

I was going to say something similar; though my time frame would have been a lot shorter. :p

Complete noob question perhaps: I am assuming they stop making the iPad 1 completely? Or do they continue manufacturing it but drop the price? Reason I ask is I'm assuming they could capture a significant portion of the untapped commercial market not currently willing to pay $500,$ 600, or $800 on this piece of crap, but might be willing to shell out $250 or $300.

Just wondering...

Kinda like they are doing now with the iphone GS model for 49.99.Which is cheaper than when it first came out. Just sell ipad for less and still make MORE $$$$..
Apple likes $$.

Raswan said:
Complete noob question perhaps: I am assuming they stop making the iPad 1 completely? Or do they continue manufacturing it but drop the price? Reason I ask is I'm assuming they could capture a significant portion of the untapped commercial market not currently willing to pay $500,$ 600, or $800 on this piece of crap, but might be willing to shell out $250 or $300.

Just wondering...

Just saw that they "slashed" the original iPad price down to $399 for the 16 gig Wi-Fi model. Looks like it's around $100 less for each version, across the board. Not much of a discount considering the tech jump in the new generation. Once the new version actually hits the shelves, look for prices to drop even more, and cheap used and refurbed units to clog up ebay as people scamper to buy the latest greatest.

I'm quite happy that jobs was able to make it there to do the announcement. I know a lot of people were wondering if he would still be at conferences and events.

Honestly, I'm disappointed in the iPad 2. At least they threw in a few features that the original should have had to begin with, but without a microSD slot, USB or Thunderbolt, HDMI port, and Retina Display, I'm going to have to pass yet again.

Princeton said:
I'm quite happy that jobs was able to make it there to do the announcement. I know a lot of people were wondering if he would still be at conferences and events.
Yeah i thought he was just going to teleconference in or have a prepared video but good for him to showing up.

$500 minimum for that? LOL Way overpriced! Maybe if the thing had a true mac OS running on it then things could be more interesting

xclusiveitalian said:
$500 minimum for that? LOL Way overpriced! Maybe if the thing had a true mac OS running on it then things could be more interesting

It's basically the same specs as the Xoom. For over $150 less how can you call it overpriced?

gwailo247 said:
Nima304 said:
Seriously, $40.00 for an HDMI cable? Well, it's Apple, I shouldn't have been surprised.

They're getting them from Best Buy, so the cost is understandable. =)

That was epic man. TBH I bet they're also made by monster.

Even though it is a large improvement over the previous generation I think it still doesn't match up to the other products on the market. The Motorola Xoom is actually a lot better than this. One of its most important advantages in my opinion is the 1280x800 resolution display in comparison to the 1024x768 display on the Ipad 2. This alone is enough to justify the extra price in my opinion. The is also the fact that the cameras in the Ipad 2 alot worse than the Xoom, will have flash support, and more ram (1gig vs 500mg). Its not that I have anything against the Ipad, I just disagree with all the talk that it is a game changer as there are already comparable, if not better products already available. Apple has a large amount of brand loyalty so if apple tells them their product is a game changer they will believe them.

TrekExpert said:
Even though it is a large improvement over the previous generation I think it still doesn't match up to the other products on the market. The Motorola Xoom is actually a lot better than this. One of its most important advantages in my opinion is the 1280x800 resolution display in comparison to the 1024x768 display on the Ipad 2. This alone is enough to justify the extra price in my opinion. The is also the fact that the cameras in the Ipad 2 alot worse than the Xoom, will have flash support, and more ram (1gig vs 500mg). Its not that I have anything against the Ipad, I just disagree with all the talk that it is a game changer as there are already comparable, if not better products already available. Apple has a large amount of brand loyalty so if apple tells them their product is a game changer they will believe them.

I really dislike apple, but the ipad having guaranteed updates is a big factor over the Xoom. Moto has a worse update rep than any other manufacturer.

TrekExpert said:

I'm actually using a motorola Xoom right now. Android 3.0 is great, fast and snappy. However, the device still feels unfinished in terms of software. The obvious ones is lack of new apps (but that's to be expected.) But still no flash support at the moment, and there are odd quirks here and there using apps. While watching some youtube videos, it would randomly freeze and ask to force quit. There's also no way to "quit" each app until it decides to close it on its own. So I notice the device starts to get a little sluggish once there's too many apps open.

As for the physical specs, it's about the same weight as the iPad. Putting it next to my brother's iPad, we both agreed that it looks smaller and more widescreen. The higher resolution screen does make everything look crispier. But honestly it's not as huge of a difference as I'd expected, the iPad's screen still looked pretty good.

The best part of the Xoom so far IMO is browsing the web. It's nice to actually have real tabs and it's very fast and snappy. It gets pretty close to a real PC web browser and is a joy to use. It also finally runs in higher frame rates which makes scrolling as smooth as iOS. (Something lacking from the mobile Android OS'.)

So to compare the Xoom to the iPad 2, IMO I think the iPad 2 will be better. This is coming from someone who don't like Apple products. Considering the price is the same as the original iPad, you pretty much get more for your money. But I think once Google start polishing and updating Android 3.0, it will be one of the best competitors to the iPad 2. Now there's only that issue of Price.

Ill never get one of those things, i want to keep up my liver functional and avoid the pain of being a power user stuck on these (Mini PC's included).

wagan8r said:
Honestly, I'm disappointed in the iPad 2. At least they threw in a few features that the original should have had to begin with, but without a microSD slot, USB or Thunderbolt, HDMI port, and Retina Display, I'm going to have to pass yet again.

Do you want us to yell surprise so you can act being surprised too? xD.

Um, okay. How is this not creating a giant pile of landfill fodder...? Do they have a recycling program for the existing stock of the model 1's...? Who is going to want them when you can get the shinier one for the same price?
This kind of marketing along with putting a proprietary battery in their stuff that no mere mortal can replace really grates my cheese.

Placeholder said:
Um, okay. How is this not creating a giant pile of landfill fodder...? Do they have a recycling program for the existing stock of the model 1's...? Who is going to want them when you can get the shinier one for the same price?
This kind of marketing along with putting a proprietary battery in their stuff that no mere mortal can replace really grates my cheese.

You'll see the wifi model one for $299 very soon. There's lots of people who don't mind having older technology when they save that much.

Personally if I were to buy a tablet right now it would probably be an ipad 2. I'm sick of waiting for android updates and having them never come at times.

How does that cover clean the screen though? It's like putting paper towel on my Galaxy S and expecting it to be cleaned.

Well, I can't see the price of iPad 1 dropping by more than $100. The iPhone 3GS didn't even drop that much when 4 came out.

It's about appearing upper-class. Apple selling iPad 1 for $100-200 won't do anything good for their image.

But IMO this is what the original iPad should have been, much like 7 v Vista, and iPhone 4 v 3GS.

Back