TechSpot

Apple announces iPad 2: improved design, price unchanged

By Emil
Mar 2, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Apple has announced the the iPad 2, the company's second-generation tablet. Just like its predecessor, the device will have the same pricing structure:

Read the whole story
  2. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

I think I will wait for the iPad 17 in two years before I try it.
  3. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

I was going to say something similar; though my time frame would have been a lot shorter. :p
  4. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

I knew I was being too optimistic.
  5. Raswan

Raswan TS Enthusiast Posts: 280

Complete noob question perhaps: I am assuming they stop making the iPad 1 completely? Or do they continue manufacturing it but drop the price? Reason I ask is I'm assuming they could capture a significant portion of the untapped commercial market not currently willing to pay $500,$ 600, or $800 on this piece of crap, but might be willing to shell out $250 or $300.

Just wondering...
  6. RaiDeR55

RaiDeR55 TS Rookie Posts: 45

Kinda like they are doing now with the iphone GS model for 49.99.Which is cheaper than when it first came out. Just sell ipad for less and still make MORE $$$$..
    Apple likes $$.
  7. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,285   +232

Just saw that they "slashed" the original iPad price down to $399 for the 16 gig Wi-Fi model. Looks like it's around $100 less for each version, across the board. Not much of a discount considering the tech jump in the new generation. Once the new version actually hits the shelves, look for prices to drop even more, and cheap used and refurbed units to clog up ebay as people scamper to buy the latest greatest.
  8. Nima304

Nima304 TS Enthusiast Posts: 294   +34

Seriously, $40.00 for an HDMI cable? Well, it's Apple, I shouldn't have been surprised.
  9. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,716

I'm quite happy that jobs was able to make it there to do the announcement. I know a lot of people were wondering if he would still be at conferences and events.
  10. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TS Guru Posts: 592   +45

Honestly, I'm disappointed in the iPad 2. At least they threw in a few features that the original should have had to begin with, but without a microSD slot, USB or Thunderbolt, HDMI port, and Retina Display, I'm going to have to pass yet again.
  11. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd TS Rookie Posts: 555

Yeah i thought he was just going to teleconference in or have a prepared video but good for him to showing up.

12. krayzie

krayzie TS Rookie Posts: 62

the white looks like you bought it from kmart or something
  13. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TS Guru Posts: 680   +46

$500 minimum for that? LOL Way overpriced! Maybe if the thing had a true mac OS running on it then things could be more interesting
  14. princeton

It's basically the same specs as the Xoom. For over $150 less how can you call it overpriced?
  15. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

They're getting them from Best Buy, so the cost is understandable. =)
  16. princeton

That was epic man. TBH I bet they're also made by monster.
  17. TrekExpert

TrekExpert TS Enthusiast Posts: 104

Even though it is a large improvement over the previous generation I think it still doesn't match up to the other products on the market. The Motorola Xoom is actually a lot better than this. One of its most important advantages in my opinion is the 1280x800 resolution display in comparison to the 1024x768 display on the Ipad 2. This alone is enough to justify the extra price in my opinion. The is also the fact that the cameras in the Ipad 2 alot worse than the Xoom, will have flash support, and more ram (1gig vs 500mg). Its not that I have anything against the Ipad, I just disagree with all the talk that it is a game changer as there are already comparable, if not better products already available. Apple has a large amount of brand loyalty so if apple tells them their product is a game changer they will believe them.
  18. princeton

I really dislike apple, but the ipad having guaranteed updates is a big factor over the Xoom. Moto has a worse update rep than any other manufacturer.
  19. Sarcasm

Sarcasm TS Enthusiast Posts: 343   +20

I'm actually using a motorola Xoom right now. Android 3.0 is great, fast and snappy. However, the device still feels unfinished in terms of software. The obvious ones is lack of new apps (but that's to be expected.) But still no flash support at the moment, and there are odd quirks here and there using apps. While watching some youtube videos, it would randomly freeze and ask to force quit. There's also no way to "quit" each app until it decides to close it on its own. So I notice the device starts to get a little sluggish once there's too many apps open.

As for the physical specs, it's about the same weight as the iPad. Putting it next to my brother's iPad, we both agreed that it looks smaller and more widescreen. The higher resolution screen does make everything look crispier. But honestly it's not as huge of a difference as I'd expected, the iPad's screen still looked pretty good.

The best part of the Xoom so far IMO is browsing the web. It's nice to actually have real tabs and it's very fast and snappy. It gets pretty close to a real PC web browser and is a joy to use. It also finally runs in higher frame rates which makes scrolling as smooth as iOS. (Something lacking from the mobile Android OS'.)

So to compare the Xoom to the iPad 2, IMO I think the iPad 2 will be better. This is coming from someone who don't like Apple products. Considering the price is the same as the original iPad, you pretty much get more for your money. But I think once Google start polishing and updating Android 3.0, it will be one of the best competitors to the iPad 2. Now there's only that issue of Price.
  20. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 521   +8

Ill never get one of those things, i want to keep up my liver functional and avoid the pain of being a power user stuck on these (Mini PC's included).

Do you want us to yell surprise so you can act being surprised too? xD.
  21. Placeholder

Placeholder TS Rookie Posts: 21

Um, okay. How is this not creating a giant pile of landfill fodder...? Do they have a recycling program for the existing stock of the model 1's...? Who is going to want them when you can get the shinier one for the same price?
    This kind of marketing along with putting a proprietary battery in their stuff that no mere mortal can replace really grates my cheese.
  22. princeton

You'll see the wifi model one for $299 very soon. There's lots of people who don't mind having older technology when they save that much.

Personally if I were to buy a tablet right now it would probably be an ipad 2. I'm sick of waiting for android updates and having them never come at times.

How does that cover clean the screen though? It's like putting paper towel on my Galaxy S and expecting it to be cleaned.
  23. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,468   +622

Well, I can't see the price of iPad 1 dropping by more than $100. The iPhone 3GS didn't even drop that much when 4 came out.

It's about appearing upper-class. Apple selling iPad 1 for $100-200 won't do anything good for their image.

But IMO this is what the original iPad should have been, much like 7 v Vista, and iPhone 4 v 3GS.
  24. Kenrick

Kenrick TS Rookie Posts: 17

Looks like it has decent upgrades just like the iphone 3g to 3gs. No usb support again as usual. Well anyway, it is the experience that set it apart from other competitors. Truly Apple has the winning formula for hardware and software interoperability. Oh good to see Steve Jobs BTW.

On the other hand, looks like android is in the news again.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/0...your-phone-steal-your-data-and-open-backdoor/
  25. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TS Enthusiast Posts: 399   +35

Still a 4:3 aspect ratio...? How does it have 1080p output again?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.