Apple could be planning to ship 'Smart Battery Cases' for the iPhone Xs and Xs Max

Polycount

Staff

Although modern phone batteries seem to get bigger over time, they still drain at a rapid pace due to the increasingly powerful hardware they contain, as well as the performance-hungry apps many users run on them.

Apple attempted to mitigate this issue with the launch of the iPhone 6's "Smart Battery Case." The case acted as an extra layer of protection for the phone as well as a battery booster. By plugging the device's charging cable into the case, users could charge the case's battery and the phone's simultaneously.

The company released a similar case for the iPhone 7, but it has not shipped any more of the cases for its flagship phones since. Whether that's due to poor sales or merely a lack of interest on Apple's part, we may never know.

Regardless of their reasoning at the time, it seems that Apple could be planning to bring the cases back soon; at least, if a product merchandising guide acquired by Appleosophy is anything to go by.

The guide, intended for the eyes of retail workers alone, reveals two cases for the iPhone Xs and Xs Max. As spotted by MacRumors, both appear to have the same battery "humps" that the iPhone 6 and 7 Smart Battery Cases did.

If Appleosophy's merchandising guide is accurate, that means we could expect to see the Smart Battery Cases finally make a comeback, though we don't have a specific release date or release window yet.

Image courtesy MacRumors

Permalink to story.

"We made the thinnest phones ever, and we're going to charge you extra for it, then if you want it to last half a day on battery, you'll need to buy an expensive case that makes it thicker than other phones".

Right... Thanks Apple :)

"We made the thinnest phones ever, and we're going to charge you extra for it, then if you want it to last half a day on battery, you'll need to buy an expensive case that makes it thicker than other phones".

And the iSheeple will praise it as innovative and superior.

LOL, I just buy phones that won't bend that have LARGER batteries. But, the iSheep will toss their money at this as they always do.

And the iSheeple will praise it as innovative and superior.

The only person who has made this assertion is you . . . and then you claim that your own assertion is wrong. Those are not the actions of a stable mind.

HAHAHA! The irony that your name is @onestepforward yet you're standing up for a company that for the last 4 years hasn't really gone forward. Love it :D
You don’t really understand mobile phones if that’s what you think. Love or hate Apple, their SOC design is head and shoulders above the competition at the moment, even Android authority recently made a video and article outlining why Apple are so far ahead in this area. Apple were the first company in the world to bring a 7nm chip to market and that chip can outbench some i7 laptops in certain tests. And as for battery life, the size of the the iPhoneX battery is considerably smaller than that of competing android devices yet manages to achieve battery life that isn’t all that different.

These days there really isn’t very much an Android device can do that an Apple device can’t, and the “exclusive” features of an android device aren’t exactly game changers. Android devices are more customiseable and tend to be cheaper but that’s really where their advantages end. I’ve had multiple devices on both Android and iPhone over the years and I’ve settled on iPhones because of their performance and reliability. The battery life on my current 8plus is remarkable aswell, I certainly won’t be considering any kind of battery case for the device.

Hating Apple is getting old. Don’t be a sheep and jump on that bandwagon.

HAHAHA! The irony that your name is @onestepforward yet you're standing up for a company that for the last 4 years hasn't really gone forward. Love it :D

Please point me to the exact part of my comment/s where I "stand-up" for Apple. Here's a hint: you won't be able to do so because no part of my comment/s provides any support, expressed or implied, for Apple. If you trying to "verbal" me, then you are doing a really, really poor job of it. Here's something that adults know: when a person makes a negative comment about something, it does not, of itself, mean that they support the opposite.

You don’t really understand mobile phones if that’s what you think. Love or hate Apple, their SOC design is head and shoulders above the competition at the moment, even Android authority recently made a video and article outlining why Apple are so far ahead in this area. Apple were the first company in the world to bring a 7nm chip to market and that chip can outbench some i7 laptops in certain tests. And as for battery life, the size of the the iPhoneX battery is considerably smaller than that of competing android devices yet manages to achieve battery life that isn’t all that different.
Who cares? Seriously, Who cares? an iPhones 6S doesn't exactly feel slow or seem to lag or anything, Same goes for the Android side, Since the Snapdragon 835 at least, I'm yet to see an Android device not feel as fast or smooth as an iPhone. So who cares? and you're missing the fact Apple have removed the fingerprint sensor, you forget they removed the Headphone Jack and didn't increase Battery size. It took Apple years to get water Resistance, Stereo speakers and finally Wireless Charging into their phones. The competition have been doing these for years before Apple.

I'll give credit where credit is due, Apple's FaceID is very fast and easily the most secure Face unlock on the market, well done Apple. One feature added in 4 years?

These days there really isn’t very much an Android device can do that an Apple device can’t, and the “exclusive” features of an android device aren’t exactly game changers. Android devices are more customiseable and tend to be cheaper but that’s really where their advantages end. I’ve had multiple devices on both Android and iPhone over the years and I’ve settled on iPhones because of their performance and reliability. The battery life on my current 8plus is remarkable aswell, I certainly won’t be considering any kind of battery case for the device.

Hating Apple is getting old. Don’t be a sheep and jump on that bandwagon.
I had the original iPhone and every single iPhone up-to the 6 Plus. Which had a failed Camera after 3 months (Apple replaced on Warranty) Battery wasn't great for the size of the phone and yet it cost me an arm and a leg. Skipped the iPhone 6s Plus as I was so disappointed in my 6 Plus and then jumped onto the Android Bandwagon around the iPhone 7 launch and gotta say, no regrets what so ever, had to factor in re-purchasing some Apps but since the initial phone price is cheaper, it still worked out and now I'm used to how Android works I've gotta say, being able to run two apps side-by-side and a few other bits are really handy and feels like Android actually makes use of the processor. iOS could only ever open one app at a time, I assume this is still the case?

Please point me to the exact part of my comment/s where I "stand-up" for Apple.
Ok fine, I guess I'll have to:
So in other words, you've never bought a phone . . . because EVERY phone bends.
Do I really need to point you to the various tests and controversies surrounding bending Apple gadgets? Specifically, compared to the competition bend easier? Have you seen how easy the newest iPad is to bend?
Here's a hint: you won't be able to do so because no part of my comment/s provides any support, expressed or implied, for Apple.
Ah is that right? Thanks Master, I did not know telling others they are wrong, about something they are factually correct about, wasn't in any form of defense.
If you trying to "verbal" me, then you are doing a really, really poor job of it.
Nope, I found your username funny in this particular thread. Literally that was it. From now on, I will never see Irony again, sorry Master.
Here's something that adults know: when a person makes a negative comment about something, it does not, of itself, mean that they support the opposite.
Sorry Master, must have gotten confused Master, please, continue the lecture.

The only person who has made this assertion is you . . . and then you claim that your own assertion is wrong. Those are not the actions of a stable mind.

Hmmm, I am having a hard time understanding your logic there - who claimed what assertion was wrong? Seems like somebody is reading more into a statement than was actually there.

My comment was based on experience. I have friends who use Apple products because they are slick and work amazingly well. No problem with that at all, if it fits your needs, by all means use it. Hell, if an abacus and chalkboard are what works for you, I say more power to you, use them and be happy.

But I also have friends who are blind Apple followers, will buy whatever Apple tosses out there, and will preach from the rooftops about how Apple is the second coming and how innovative this new widget is. Even when the features they are raving about have been in other products for YEARS and it's taken Apple that long to catch up, they seem to somehow believe that Apple's team invented the shiny new stuff. iSheeple. We debate about their blind faith often, but it is what it is, and I'm not about to try to change them. Doesn't mean I won't call the behavior out for what it is, though.

Back