Apple delays AirPods launch, says it needs more time

Shawn Knight

Staff member

AirPods, the wireless audio solution that Apple hopes will make iPhone 7 users forget all about that missing 3.5mm headphone jack, have been delayed.

Apple issued a statement to various media stating that the early response to AirPods has been incredible. Because the company doesn’t believe in shipping a product before it is ready, however, they still need a little more time before they’re ready for customers.

The Cupertino-based company didn’t provide a timeline as to when they will be ready for retail nor did it specify the nature of the delay.

As Digital Trends points out, several tech publications were granted early access to pre-production review units and although there were some minor issues found, there was no universal fault that would explain a global delay. One journalist did, however, note that his were starting to separate at a seam.

The new W1 chip inside the AirPods probably isn’t to blame either as Beats-branded headphones using the chip are readily available. Shortages in the supply chain can also likely be ruled out as low initial inventory hasn’t kept other Apple products sidelined.

Given that Apple has already announced the delay, we’re unlikely to hear anything about it during the Mac media event. Barring any unforeseen circumstances, Apple’s AirPods will retail for $159 whenever they do arrive.

Permalink to story.

So let me get this right...They removed the headphone jack because they'll have the airpods...but they don't have the airpods and they don't have the headphone jack??
...but I guess they can sell more attachments!!

ahhh the irony!

3rd party Apple vendors are cashing out on this [screw up] product delay. Removing this port was completely pointless. Things should change for sake of innovation, not to just create another means of increasing revenue in the ecosystem.

So let me get this right...They removed the headphone jack because they'll have the airpods...but they don't have the airpods and they don't have the headphone jack??
...but I guess they can sell more attachments!!

ahhh the irony!
Maybe they need more time because they're concerned they may blow up in the wearers ears following the Samsung shenanigans... if the battery supplier happens to be Samsung SDI.

Apple's innovation sadly went with the untimely passing of Steve Jobs. Since Jobs passed there has been almost no innovation from Apple, apart from the pressure sensitive touch screen which I believe was the first new 'innovation' from Apple following the passing of Jobs. It proved so popular and innovative that literally no one has decided to copy it.

Apple's innovation sadly went with the untimely passing of Steve Jobs. Since Jobs passed there has been almost no innovation from Apple, apart from the pressure sensitive touch screen which I believe was the first new 'innovation' from Apple following the passing of Jobs. It proved so popular and innovative that literally no one has decided to copy it.
This story we heard like a million times and Jobs didn't innovate ****.

"Barring any unforeseen circumstances, Apple’s AirPods will retail for $159 whenever they do arrive." and good luck finding them if you ever drop them!

Oh I know, let's sell another accessory that holds the AirPods together and connects them to your phone.... Hmmm what should we call this...? AirWire! for the low price of $50

Apple should create the surgically implanted AirSkull, powered by the cells energy from the body.
Hire me as Jobs successor Apple.

Just like how Apple not copying anything out there, sheesh.

They're probably having a hard time fitting a battery, DAC and receiver into each ear.

They should have released the air pods last generation alongside the 3.5mm.

Pretty typical... In a massive rush to seem "innovative" by unilaterally deciding that industry standards need to be thrown out and all should bend to the will of Apple... And then they're not even ready to supply the innovation once they have forced the change. I believe this is known as "putting the cart before the horse"

From the same brilliant minds that decided to change everything on the new Macbook Pro and guarantee that iPhone 7 users can't just connect their phone to the new MBP without needing an adapter...

Last edited:
Wow... I love that all the haters come out just on an announcement that a product has been delayed...There are plenty of wireless headphones already on the market, no need to fret... and there's a handy dongle that comes with your iPhone 7 if you MUST use your old wired ones... Can we get some more whine with that cheese?

This story we heard like a million times and Jobs didn't innovate ****.
Well what degree of innovation we have witnessed in the smartphone industry in his era can not be denied. He set the example for Samsung and subsequent brands like Huawei and now even Google.

Apple and many other innovating tech companies have to take into account that their new products being successful depend on the purchasing power of the middle class. But it's getting poorer and poorer, because we have let the richest people and the bankers control the worlds economy. In a world where the top 1% richest people own more than half of world's wealth, only the best and most useful products will succeed. That's how stupid the world economy has become. Its complete failure is yet to come and can't be avoided. Prepare yourself for the worst crash ever when the 1% will own more than 75% of the world's wealth.

Last edited:
Well what degree of innovation we have witnessed in the smartphone industry in his era can not be denied. He set the example for Samsung and subsequent brands like Huawei and now even Google.
I guess I'm not into in enough. Can you please tell me what innovation is that?

I guess I'm not into in enough. Can you please tell me what innovation is that?
Apple has always been the market leader when it comes to smartphone technology. Like it was the pioneer in producing the sleekest and light smartphones in the industry.

Apple has always been the market leader when it comes to smartphone technology. Like it was the pioneer in producing the sleekest and light smartphones in the industry.

Wow! that's like some awesome innovations you mentioned right there! /s

Back