TechSpot

Apple details OS X Mountain Lion, optimistic about desktop OS adoption

By Julio Franco
Jun 11, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Apple was happy to share new details about their upcoming desktop operation system, OS X Mountain Lion, during WWDC 2012. Despite the company's growing focus on mobile, they are claiming...

Read the whole story

2. mevans336

mevans336 TS Enthusiast Posts: 163   +11

Microsoft should take note of what? Charging for service packs?

3. m4a4

m4a4 TS Addict Posts: 536   +149

Ahahahahaha, and it not enough that they payed the apple tax on the laptop in the first place...

4. errr, to the above posters, the iCry line starts over there --->, tissues supplied free of charge

5. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Topic Starter Posts: 6,565   +333

I'm a Windows user, and I don't know about you guys, but it pisses me off Microsoft is wanting to charge me to upgrade to Windows 8 on new PCs. On that same note, 7 was no less Service Pack to Vista than OS X's iterations are.

6. bexwhitt

bexwhitt TS Enthusiast Posts: 162   +22

if it will make my wifi work properly again, I am in

7. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 727   +30

More features that have nothing to do with the Enterprise. Its less than a year since Lion shipped and already they are promoting the new OS. Today I took a fresh new MacBook Pro with Lion installed, put some older incompatible software on it (had to test but it worked out poorly as it turned out) and as a result had to reinstall the OS. No DVD to install from, just a 650MB partition you can boot to. No problem until it had to connect to the internet and download the 10gig or so Lion installation files and still no option to create installation media. Macs are toys for single users, not serious manage-able machines for the Enterprise. Getting closer to the iPad experience or forcing iCloud down users throats does not get me excited. Its just more stuff to have to turn off if its going to be used seriously.

As far as Windows goes, I do not mind getting an OEM edition shipped with my new PC if I get one but agree that £150 for Vista Ultimate etc was crazy money. However, Apple are also pushing cloud integration and see they can make more money getting Mountain Lion (the OSX that looks like iOS) on as many desktops as they can to profit from macstore/appstore sales. They aren't offering it at 20 dollars out of kindness.

8. bexwhitt

bexwhitt TS Enthusiast Posts: 162   +22

If you time it right you should be able to get a retail copy of windows really cheap with a pre release offer. Comparing the costs of windows to the closed Apple taxed os x is hardly relevant.

9. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,627   +320

Not sure if your particular case could have gone differently or not. But you certainly can make your own bootable Lion install disk. When I upgraded from Snow Leopard I made a DVD of Lion before going through with the install. Once those files are downloaded, you can burn a disk for future use.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.