Apple expected to claim switching to USB-C in the iPhone 15 was its idea

midian182

Staff member
A hot potato: Nobody likes being forced to do something they don't want to do. In the case of Apple's introduction of the USB-C port in its next iPhones, however, expect the company to present the change as its own idea, and one that will be great for consumers.

The iPhone 15 series is set to be unveiled next week (September 12), confirming one of the most significant design changes in years: the move from a Lightning port to USB-C.

This wasn't Apple's wish, though. After pushing for a universal charging solution for over a decade, the European Commission in October voted overwhelmingly in favor of legislation that would see all phones, tablets, and other small electronics sold in the region feature USB-C ports by the end of 2024. The European Council approved the mandate a few weeks later, ignoring years of arguments and complaints from Apple.

While Apple could have waited until next year's iPhones to introduce USB-C, the company is starting with the iPhone 15 series instead.

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman explains in his Power On letter that there are plenty of reasons why Apple doesn't want to change: it stands to lose a lot of licensing revenue from Made for iPhone (MFi) accessory makers that use Lightning cables; the process will have cost time and money; and better compatibility with Android phones allows Apple customers to defect more easily.

But Apple isn't going to begrudgingly complain about having to introduce USB-C to its iPhones or mention the EU during next week's event. The company doesn't want to admit that it was forced into doing something against its will, so expect the move to be painted as Apple's idea and one that will be of massive benefit to its fans.

Gurman adds that Apple will include a USB-C cable with its iPhone 15 handsets. However, as has been the case since the iPhone 12, don't expect a power brick to be included. Apple is also expected to make plenty of Lightning to USB-C adapters available so that people can continue using older accessories with the iPhone 15 line.

There have been rumors that Apple might be planning to throttle data and charging speeds on USB-C cables that don't have the MFi badge. Gurman suggests this could happen to offset the money Apple will lose from royalties, though the EU might have something to say about it.

Masthead: Tony Webster

Permalink to story.

Apple has been offering Usb-c on the Mac and iPad for years, but not iPhone. It never made any sense that there were two kinds of charging ports on Apple’s devices. At long last, usb-c will arrive on iPhone.
That is true, however let’s also remember that only the charging cable and adapters that plug in directly to the iPhone have been different. Charging cables may have come with a lightning port on one end, but they’ve also come with a USB-C port on the other end (and previously USB-A). That means they’ve never sold a charging brick that was specific to Apple, and you’ve only needed to bring the cable to plug into someone else’s charger.

I will say that I expect them to remove the charging port altogether in some future generation with a preference to use wireless everything.

That is true, however let’s also remember that only the charging cable and adapters that plug in directly to the iPhone have been different. Charging cables may have come with a lightning port on one end, but they’ve also come with a USB-C port on the other end (and previously USB-A). That means they’ve never sold a charging brick that was specific to Apple, and you’ve only needed to bring the cable to plug into someone else’s charger.

I will say that I expect them to remove the charging port altogether in some future generation with a preference to use wireless everything.
All of my electronic devices, except for iPhone, use usb-c. Mac. iPad. Android. Switch. Ps5/Xbox controllers. Portable anker battery pack. Even my thunderbolt nvme storage and other thunderbolt devices/hubs.

So when I travel, I bring a couple usb4 cables with 40 gbps data/240W charging capability. All devices can use the same cable except for iPhone. With iPhone, yes I can use the same charger, but I need to have a separate usb-c to lightning cable. It’s a waste. And the lightning-usb-c cables wear down over time. And stop charging properly. I’ve never had a usb4 or thunderbolt cable go bad on me ever. So I welcome usb-c. And hopefully, apple also increases transfer speeds from usb2 to usb3 or higher speeds.

To be fair it was their idea to somehow get away with defying a direct order from the EU to start using USB-C for so long it should be an example for the EU to take a look at themselves and evaluate their ineffectiveness as they can be so easily sidelined by a single corporation. The arguably biggest in the world but still, a single corporation and the EU couldn't force Apple to immediately witch to USB-C or barr iphone sales what, 4 or 5 years ago like they should.

Can't stop a single phone maker, yet they're people's hope and dream of going carbon neutral somehow...

To be fair it was their idea to somehow get away with defying a direct order from the EU to start using USB-C for so long it should be an example for the EU to take a look at themselves and evaluate their ineffectiveness as they can be so easily sidelined by a single corporation. The arguably biggest in the world but still, a single corporation and the EU couldn't force Apple to immediately witch to USB-C or barr iphone sales what, 4 or 5 years ago like they should.

Can't stop a single phone maker, yet they're people's hope and dream of going carbon neutral somehow...
It doesn't work like that. The legislation was introduced in late 2022 with a 2024 mandatory implementation by companies. It took Apple less than a year to implement.

So your attempt making the EU look bad kinda fails.

Oh you can BET apple will have "chips" in licensed by apple cables that will deliver the data & charge speeds.
"unlicensed" cables will be throttled. BANK on it. Apple makes a lot of money on accessories.

I am just waiting to see how Apple can create a special / more expensive "Apple USB C" cable that transfers / charges faster than a regular USB C cable.

I am just waiting to see how Apple can create a special / more expensive "Apple USB C" cable that transfers / charges faster than a regular USB C cable.
Apple iPhones are all limited to USB 2 transfer rates. That will be the same for the iPhone 15

Yup, Apple made the nonsense arguments when they resisted USB-C that it would contribute to e-waste (nonsense since they have gleefully changed connectors over the years so people would have to buy new chargers and cables). And some vague nonsense about the capabilities of lightning versus USB-C (even though both support higher data speeds than the IPhone itself could handle, as much juice as you want for charging, both support running HDMI out over it, headphone jack in/out over it, etc.)

I'm quite sure they'll make the exact same argument about going to USB-C reducing e-waste (except now it'll be true). In decades past people referred to Apple's "reality distortion field" (Apple making some claim, the Apple "true believers" believing the statements at face value while everyone else rolled their eyes.) Well, whatever, the outcome is the same, they can use standard connectors like everybody else.

They already do. USB C to Lightning, 6 ft $35. That's in stores like Walmart, Best Buy etc. Yes, you can find them or cables cheaper online. Downside to online you need to make sure if it is MFi. Tons online likely won't be.

Apple sued Microsoft one time over use of the GUI when it first came out saying it was their idea. They lost the lawsuit and as it turned out Xerox invented the GUI.

The reason it took so long is that the EU did not want to create a legislation on it, but was urging companies to switch to USB-C. Apple was the only one that did not want to switch to USB-C for the iPhone (for rather weak reasons imo), making the EU go forward to creating that law and basically forcing Apple to switch. Wasting EU tax money in the progress.

The all new revolutionary USB-C connection with nanolinguialfibristic cabeling makes iPhone charging faster than ever....we know your going to love it...we made the decision to go usb-c because we listen to our customers and not some court in EU

Apple sued Microsoft one time over use of the GUI when it first came out saying it was their idea. They lost the lawsuit and as it turned out Xerox invented the GUI.
The older I get, the more often I've found that big organizations are/were actually the personality of one person, with aspects amplified by the ability to throw money at stuff. I appreciate Steve Jobs but do wonder if stuff like that was a personality defect that no one called him on.

Swappable batteries were dead when companies decided that they can make more $$$ by not making them swappable.
No, people do not want phones that can be killed by water. Make a phone without ip68 or whatever it is called. You won't be able to sell it, even with all the best hardware.
And it is very hard to make a phone water safe when there is easily removable back cover.
A casing is much more safe when it is fit tightly as one body.
Does this benefit manufacturers to have irreplaceable batteries though? Yes, no doubt. But this is a valid reason still

Back