Apple firmware update fixes iOS 15.4's battery life issue

Daniel Sims

Staff
In brief: iPhone users eagerly anticipated Apple's release of iOS 15.4 for the added ability to use Face ID while wearing a mask. In the days after installing it, however a small number of people reported reductions in battery life. Apple has now issued a fix.

With the release of iOS and iPadOS 15.4.1, Apple says it has addressed an issue that reduced the battery life on some devices after installing version 15.4. The latest update also includes fixes for braille and hearing devices. Even users who didn't have problems with battery life should still install it for the security updates.

Some users reported battery life on their iPhones fell by as much as 50 percent upon installing iOS 15.4. Initially, Apple support tweeted that some problems should be expected in the first couple of days after firmware updates, but some users had reported decreased battery life more than 48 hours after updating.

Some theorized the problem was related to high refresh rates in iPhone models with ProMotion, but reports weren't isolated to those models. Others guessed it might have something to do with aging batteries. In any case, addressing the issue through an update confirms it was a software problem.

To update your iPhone or iPad, head to Settings > General > Software Update.

Permalink to story.

I haven’t experienced battery drain issues in 15.4.

However, I’ve had to restore my previous iPhone that I handed-me-down to my mom (XS MAX 512GB) twice because it suddenly started going into “iPhone unavailable “ mode.

I turned off automatic updates and so far so good.

Fortunately, the 12ProMax I gave my father has experienced no issue.

Also not noticed an issue with my battery on my 11 pro max, before the 15.4 update I would finish work at about 50% and after the update it’s the same. Using it to play Spotify most for 4+ hours of the day. Maybe this 15.4.1 update will give me better battery than I ever have? But I doubt it..

Definitely seeing much better battery life with this IOS version.

IPhone 11.

The battery for iPhone XS is largely untouched. Full battery at the start of work and about 50% by the end of the day.

I have a new iPad Mini 6 that I updated virtually right away to 15.4. The Battery lasted about a week after a full charge. I updated to 15.4.1 at the beginning of the week, and it looks like my battery life is going to be about double what it was.

My Mini 6 is WiFi only and I rarely use WiFi anyway. I also turn the display brightness way down, so my aim is to prolong battery life.

The main reason that I got the Mini 6 is because my Mini's battery was draining in about a week, so needless to say, I was rather disappointed that the Mini 6, on 15.4, seemed like it was only going to get about the same time, battery wise, as the Mini. For me, it appears that 15.4 was excessively draining my Mini 6 battery.

Back