TechSpot

Apple in talks with Epix over streaming content deal, iTV rumors heat up

By Shawn Knight
Apr 30, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Rumors of an impending Apple television are once again heating up as the company is said to be in talks with Epix, a joint venture between Lions Gate, MGM and...

Read the whole story

2. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 974   +99

iTV? There is already an ITV, **** gonna get confusing.

3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,156   +737

Anyone else notice the tech spot trend of always (really... it's always) calling Apple 'Cupertino' the 2nd time they're mentioned in the story. Meow isn't that weird?

Anyway.... Epix is a movie studio trio, right? So why are 'rumors heating up' over an iTV if this is a story about movie content? Especially movies that Netflix already has.

What's that part about 'upcoming devices that stream content' I sure hope they're talking about the iPad 4 and not a separate iTV box we'll have to buy. Apple isn't known for integration into other devices the way my Sony Bluray can access Netflix, Hulu, etc.

4. RubinOnRye

RubinOnRye TS Rookie Posts: 57

Set aside the second and third paragraph, WTF did you just say? I don't even think that was English. Please turn off the dragon speech software and type out a comment/question that is understandable.

5. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,156   +737

Sorry if that went over your head, Rubin... i'll try again.

1) The headline says quote "Rumors about the iTV heat up" and then in the story we learn that Apple bought content from a company (Epix) made of 3 movie studios. See the difference? TV or Movies. Streaming TV could be huge, but we already have access to movies. So here's the question...
    Why should we get excited about an iTV if all they bought was the same package of movies we can already get on Netflix?
    2) Quote "Any deal would result in content for Cupertino?s existing $99 set-top box and ?to upcoming devices that stream content." The word 'devices' is rather ambiguious (translation: it could mean more than one thing). Apple devices or regular Bluray players? We all know from experience that Apple prefers to sell their own hardware, and I personally don't want to add another device.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.