Apple iPad mini with Retina Display: The TechSpot Review

Julio Franco

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/747-apple-ipad-mini-retina/]https://www.techspot.com/review/747-apple-ipad-mini-retina/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

I think the new iPad mini with retina is worth the upgrade. You're going from the A5 to the A7. I just got mine last week and I'm very impressed with it. It's leaps and bounds better than the original iPad mini.

Blah blah blah. I must be nuts to consider blowing the equivalent of $399 on a 16Gb tablet. If I wanted a ~ 7" tablet I'd look no further than the Google/Asus Nexus 7.

The retina mini is great, feels a touch heavier than the 1st gen mini but not in a bad way. the size is perfect, display and speed.. couldn't be happier, except they sent me a white mini instead of black (wtf?) but ended up preferring the white anyway, win win!

I like the criticism of the colours, the camera and the price...
and then the 90 OUTSTANDING score...

I picked one up last week and I have to say, I'm impressed. The non-retina screen and underpowered processed of the original mini really put me off, and I couldn't really find a place for the full size iPad in my work or home life, but the retina mini fits in just great. There've been some complaints floating around the internet about the colour gamut of the screen, but I have no problems with it whatsoever.

It is a great product. People can only complain about the price. Apple is smart to price high. Why would they want the people of Walmart lessening their brand image.

As usual, excellent review TS and Tim. I'm not in for a new tablet this year, currently using an older full size iPad (3rd gen Retina). For the little use that I give to it it's more than enough, but based on current info and my needs if I was buying a new tablet today I'd still stick to Apple devices and most likely buy a mini since it's better for single hand use and carrying with you with no much of a sacrifice. If you're on a tighter budget definitely the new Nexus 7 is hard to compete with.

When will apple add a file manager to their tablets and phones? It is the ONE thing that keeps me from buying one of their devices besides the price. I recently bought the Nexus 7 2013 and my girlfriend actually prefers it to her Mini Retina ipad simply because she can move music, movies and files to and from the device with ease. Then again Apple would probably lose sales if it was easy to transfer all that data to their devices...

It seems strange that it's even an issue since it's EXACTLY the same as the first gen mini color gamut. I compared the two and couldn't tell the difference. The Air is definitely better but it really is a non issue since everyone who owned a mini has been using the same display color wise for a year without any complaints.

I'm torn. I'm buying my wife this for Christmas and surface for myself. Best of both I guess. Haha.

I received a brand new mini with retina display yesterday. I'm very much impressed with it in terms of performance and feel. The text is razor sharp and although things are smaller compared to the regular ipad, I have no problems reading the text because it's just that sharp. The color gamut is noticeable when making direct comparisons, but not as severe as I had imagined and not really an issue in actual use.

But...

It's going back to Apple because it seems they're having serious quality control issues at the moment. Half the screen is pristine white, the other half looks dirty with a yellow tint. Unfortunately, this seems to be a widespread issue and is affecting the Air as well. Some people have gone through multiple exchanges with no luck. In short, buying one means entering the screen lottery. You might get lucky and get a good one on your first try or you might end up with one that looks like it was partially immersed in pee.

Ugh...

Such a shame. It's a nice, if overpriced, tablet.

Interesting how the new iPad Mini produces less colors than the iPad Air, even though they both use the same display.

The resale value of iPads is great. I sold my old Mini and picked up the new one with a retina display and am enjoying the heck out of it. I also have the first generation Nexus 7 and the newest model 2013 Nexus 7. And I have to say, I've enjoyed owning them as well, except for the fact that the original N7 went for the better part of a year without this thing called TRIM and it turned into a sluggish piece of crap. But then an update (one year later!!!) finally fixed it and now it works pretty good and actually works even better with Kit Kat on it, but the resale value is laughable.

Back