TechSpot

Apple just patented a Siri-powered smart home system

1. The US Patent and Trademark Office yesterday officially published patent 8,677,377. Dubbed "Method and apparatus for building an intelligent automated assistant", the patent describes a futuristic version of Apple's Siri which would help you throughout your home.

Read more

2. fredderf81

fredderf81 TS Enthusiast Posts: 51   +40

Anyone else find this creepy? apple has already done enough to create users who are so dependent on their iphones that they are completely useless without one. I swear, people can't do anything by themselves anymore unless their iphone tells them to. I am ALL for technological advancement but I think this is a bit extreme. besides, now apple will be able to track and spy on people inside their homes!?! where are all those crazies who complain about the government having way too much power? this is perfect for them to protect about!!

3. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,506   +498

"Siri make me a sandwhich".

Now that will get my attention, until then I'll keep on hating Apple.

4. the nOOblet

the nOOblet TS Rookie

From the Hive Siri says: "Down here you will all die"

5. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke TS Guru Posts: 930   +354

It seems this is a step to the high-tech future as we see portrayed in many movies and anime, I don't know about in novels. Personally this makes Henry David Thoreau's "Walden woods" experiment seem more and more attractive.

6. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,389   +329

The end means a patent troll for those who don't know, I hope to see this kind of stuff go to market!

7. Kibaruk

Again with the patent troll... really??

8. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,476   +2,034

I'll put Siri in my toilet so she can remind me to wipe my butt with the double ply paper patterned with Apple's logo.

Raoul Duke and OneSpeed like this.
  9. TheDreams

TheDreams TS Addict Posts: 609   +61

I think it would be rather awesome, though you may not have an privacy from your family. It would find it interesting as hell.

10. So, does it mean Microsoft will be sued by apple when Cortana is available? :D

11. TheNetAvenger

TheNetAvenger TS Rookie

Something Bill Gates was using in his house over 15 years ago, and Apple was granted a patent?

I assume Apple is depending on their agreement with Microsoft to not kill this patent and both companies will retain usage.

12. wastedkill

So when a company patents something or buys patents but doesnt make products with those patents and sues, you think "Oh well they own the patents they should sue everyone until they make enough money to sue 6.7billion people"

I unlike you think patent trolls should not be allowed!!!!! Its pathetic if you have a mobile phone with wifi the patent troll that owns wifi can sue you but I am guessing you will be fine with that wont you.

13. Kibaruk

You should call yourself wastedpost. Nuf said.

14. wastedkill

Please delete your account and never come back troll we dont need your stupid kind here!!!! If someone sued you for having a phone with wifi you would probably marry them for doing something you never thought could happen.

Just because your a troll I am gonna give you the trolls award of stupidity Well done :)

15. Kibaruk

wastedpost: Nuf said... techtroll.

16. wastedkill

Trollruk: Nuff said.... techtroll

17. Kibaruk

Well I did stop wandering wether you were 13 year old around 10 posts but now I realized you may be 10 or less. Well good luck then it was not a pleasure meeting you, I'll put you on the ignore list since I'm not entirely sure I'll be able to read again patent troll out of wastedpost anytime soon.

18. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

Further off topic posts (after this one of course :) ) will be deleted. Take your squabbles to PMs not in public threads.