Apple just patented a Siri-powered smart home system

Himanshu Arora

Staff

The US Patent and Trademark Office yesterday officially published patent 8,677,377. Dubbed "Method and apparatus for building an intelligent automated assistant", the patent describes a futuristic version of Apple's Siri which would help you throughout your home.

According to a Patently Apple report, which unpacks the claims in the patent, Apple's personal assistant would use information gathered from distributed sensors that a user could place throughout their home, to provide automated help to people in many circumstances.

For example, sensors would relay information like "the time is 8 a.m.", "the user is in the kitchen", "the user is eating", and more. Using what's described as an “active ontology” in the patent, Siri can remind a person to take their medication and other important stuff like meetings and appointments.

Aside from assisting anyone with day to day chores, the system could assist individuals who are impaired in some way, as well as elderly people, surgeons whose eyes and hands are busy when performing operation, and business executives who may have numerous tasks on their plate on any given day.

While some people feel that Siri is of little value, the personal assistant has become an important product for Apple. The company has been working on revamping it for quite a while now. Back in October last year, Apple acquired a personal assistant app startup Cue. The company's latest offering CarPlay also integrates Siri.

The patent, however, does not guarantee that the aforesaid system will see the light of day, as technology companies, including Apple, file patents but do not always transform them into products.

Permalink to story.

Anyone else find this creepy? apple has already done enough to create users who are so dependent on their iphones that they are completely useless without one. I swear, people can't do anything by themselves anymore unless their iphone tells them to. I am ALL for technological advancement but I think this is a bit extreme. besides, now apple will be able to track and spy on people inside their homes!?! where are all those crazies who complain about the government having way too much power? this is perfect for them to protect about!!

"Siri make me a sandwhich".

Now that will get my attention, until then I'll keep on hating Apple.

It seems this is a step to the high-tech future as we see portrayed in many movies and anime, I don't know about in novels. Personally this makes Henry David Thoreau's "Walden woods" experiment seem more and more attractive.

I think it would be rather awesome, though you may not have an privacy from your family. It would find it interesting as hell.

So, does it mean Microsoft will be sued by apple when Cortana is available? :D

Something Bill Gates was using in his house over 15 years ago, and Apple was granted a patent?

I assume Apple is depending on their agreement with Microsoft to not kill this patent and both companies will retain usage.

Again with the patent troll... really??

So when a company patents something or buys patents but doesnt make products with those patents and sues, you think "Oh well they own the patents they should sue everyone until they make enough money to sue 6.7billion people"

I unlike you think patent trolls should not be allowed!!!!! Its pathetic if you have a mobile phone with wifi the patent troll that owns wifi can sue you but I am guessing you will be fine with that wont you.

So when a company patents something or buys patents but doesnt make products with those patents and sues, you think "Oh well they own the patents they should sue everyone until they make enough money to sue 6.7billion people"

I unlike you think patent trolls should not be allowed!!!!! Its pathetic if you have a mobile phone with wifi the patent troll that owns wifi can sue you but I am guessing you will be fine with that wont you.

You should call yourself wastedpost. Nuf said.

You should call yourself wastedpost. Nuf said.

Please delete your account and never come back troll we dont need your stupid kind here!!!! If someone sued you for having a phone with wifi you would probably marry them for doing something you never thought could happen.

Just because your a troll I am gonna give you the trolls award of stupidity Well done :)

Please delete your account and never come back troll we dont need your stupid kind here!!!! If someone sued you for having a phone with wifi you would probably marry them for doing something you never thought could happen.

Just because your a troll I am gonna give you the trolls award of stupidity Well done :)

wastedpost: Nuf said... techtroll.

Well I did stop wandering wether you were 13 year old around 10 posts but now I realized you may be 10 or less. Well good luck then it was not a pleasure meeting you, I'll put you on the ignore list since I'm not entirely sure I'll be able to read again patent troll out of wastedpost anytime soon.

Further off topic posts (after this one of course :) ) will be deleted. Take your squabbles to PMs not in public threads.

Back