TechSpot

Apple reportedly acquiring Beats Electronics for $3.2 billion

By Scorpus
May 8, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. A report from the Financial Times believes that Apple will soon announce it's acquiring audio gear manufacturer Beats Electronics, in a deal worth $3.2 billion. People familiar with the deal told the Times that it could be announced "as early...

Read more

2. RzmmDX

RzmmDX TS Guru Posts: 305   +62

Beats has a design and engineering team???

I thought Monster did all the work.

3. badameco

badameco TS Rookie

Oh good... an overpriced/rated brand buying another overpriced/rated brand...

4. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,149   +1,424

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  5. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Yeah same. Maybe they poached the guys.

6. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Evangelist Posts: 991   +90

They did originally and then got screwed over.

7. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Evangelist Posts: 810   +102

that was a long while back lol. moster stopped working with beats a couple years ago

8. Cripset

Cripset TS Rookie

-That was a terrible analogy:

-When did Dre ever work in the tech industry?

-Dre made his money from producing and his record labels.

-What in the hell does Edward Snowden have to do with this?

-Dre is already worth hundreds of millions of dollars; he doesn't need to be on another track regardless if this deal goes through or not.

Awful, just awful VitalyT.

9. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,210   +424

Yeah - that was pretty bad V. He's already plenty rich as it is and even though I hate Beats headphones and won't try their streaming music service I've gotta admit that he's done a lot for the music industry and is a great businessman. Credit where credit is due... everything isn't about bling'd teeth when black people get money... and yes, it did come off that way when you posted it.

10. Movatheaiur

Movatheaiur TS Rookie Posts: 28   +7

If they sell for 3.2bil they are selling themselves for cheap. Beats brand is worth that and then some when you consider its' future value. Then tack on the new streaming service( which surprisingly is doing well) and you are looking at a $10 billion company with a very short forecast of I'd say five years.

The top two shareholders ( Young and Iovine) together have earned 1.2bil in just the past 36 months. If I were part owner noway I'd sell for that price unless the acquisition included some share of Apple itself.

11. trgz

trgz TS Booster Posts: 153   +23

One more reason to avoid an Apple; sadly my HTC has the Beats name on it, though I don't use it for music, but my experience is that the audio tends to be shockingly bad for devices with Beats technology.

12. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,254   +222

Monster and Beats have parted ways some time ago. Ever since that the Beats headphone line has improved however nothing great compared to other headphone vendors.

13. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,149   +1,424

You don't say...
    [​IMG]

badameco likes this.
  14. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Booster Posts: 777   +137

Just think of all the chronic $3.2 BILLION can buy you...

15. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

Beats have a high price, but I didn't think that they sounded as good as other headphones in their price range when I sampled them. Are they just fashion over quality?

trgz likes this.
  16. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,210   +424

They are definitely fashion accessories. They don't sound good at all compared to other cans you can get at each price point. Certain versions are also constructed really well and they win in the looks dept. Unfortunately I'm more of a function over form sort of guy until I reach a certain level of function.

trgz likes this.
  17. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,541   +2,337

I know people in the music industry. Never once has any one of them even mentioned Beats, let alone recommended them. This begs me to ask, why is this article not tagged under 'fashion'?

trgz likes this.
  18. RustyTech

RustyTech TS Guru Posts: 865   +434

Yes they are.
    I think Apple and Beats make a perfect couple!

trgz and wastedkill like this.
  19. Another reason why we don't let tech people oversee all M&A decisions

20. Hasbean

Hasbean TS Enthusiast Posts: 98   +22

So I guess, they'll only work with iTunes now.

21. Railman

Railman TS Booster Posts: 708   +101

My wife gave me a HTC phone with Beats in ear buds. They were better than the ones had on my previous phone and of a more substantial construction. They are still working two years on despite being mistreated. From that point of view I am happy with them but I doubt I would go out out and spend £200 or more on headphones.