Apple reportedly buying PrimeSense, the company behind original Kinect

1. According to a report from Israeli publication Calcalist, Apple has acquired Tel Aviv-based 3D sensor technology company PrimeSense for $345 million. A formal announcement is expected within the next two weeks. News of a potential Apple-PrimeSense deal first emerged from the...

Read more
  2. So real soon we will see that Apple is suing Microsoft for patent infringement about the Kinect and Apple will claim that they invented the technology.
    m4a4 and Ranger1st like this.
  3. Ranger1st

Ranger1st TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 265   +77

Nah, too easy, it will be something even less reality based..

4. ddelamare

ddelamare Newcomer, in training

Does anyone use Kinect?? lol
    I think I have my camera in my basement somewhere...
  5. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,806   +702

Technically Samsung footed this bill with the money they had to fork over to Apple from their 'successful' lawsuit a couple of days ago but I wonder how much Apple had to cough up to the judge to rule in their favour...
  6. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 939   +82

What's Apple up to?! I wonder if they're making a game console or if this technology is for their iOS? Although it's hard for me to picture this as useful for their phones and tablets.

Ddelamare: I use my Kinect - mostly to order it with voice. Make it launch different things in the Home screen.

Skidmarksdeluxe: Apple's may be borrowing against what they expect to earn. But Samsung hasn't turned over a dime yet. Samsung has a few thousand more appeals to go through before they're ready to turn over a dime.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.