Apple reports quarterly revenue of $37.5 billion, sells 33.8 million iPhones

Shawn Knight

Staff member

apple 4th-quarter iphone sales jump profit falls apple iphone sales quarterly earnings profit

Apple on Monday topped Wall Street estimates as they reported revenue of $37.5 billion for the fourth quarter of their 2013 fiscal year. The figure is up from $35.97 billion during the same period last year and beat Apple’s own estimates of roughly $37 billion.

Net income for the quarter was $7.51 billion, or $8.26 per share. That’s down from $8.22 billion, or $8.67 a share, a year ago but still beat analysts’ average estimates of $7.96 per share based on revenue of $36.9 billion.

Sales of iPhones fell below analysts’ forecasts of 34.5 million with 33.8 million sold in the quarter despite launching two new models, the iPhone 5s and the 5c, for the first time ever. Elsewhere, Cupertino sold 14.1 million iPads, 4.6 million Macs and 3.5 million iPods during the three-month period.

It’s worth mentioning that only the new iPhones were included in the quarterly report which happened to arrive at the end of the quarter. Other new products like the second generation iPad mini with Retina display, the iPad Air, new MacBook Pros and the Mac Pro will all be part of Apple’s next quarterly earnings report which runs through December.

Looking forward, Apple said they expect to generate sales of between $55 billion to $58 billion which falls in line with average analyst expectations of $55.7 billion. Additionally, Apple announced a $3.05 per share dividend that will be made available to shareholders on November 14.

Permalink to story.

The most detailed analysis of analysts forecasts I've read in years. It cleverly creates a mystery of those analysts, they sound quite menacing in their anonymous grey mass lurking in the shadows. Nobody knows who they are, where they are, but their forecasts are broadcasted. And also the story ends on a cliffhanger - I mean, what happened to the analysts who was wrong in their forecasts? Were they fed to the lions, fined, or fired? All in all, a good read, but I'm not sure I would buy the sequel.

Lol Samsung and Apple selling 35 million phones every ten minutes. What a bunch of BS. I like how one says they did it and the other one says WE DID IT TO. Who one the planet does no have a cell phone by now? They are all excited about China being allowed to sell phones now. People over there make like .30 an hour I doubt they will buy phones. These companies have been selling 35 million phones a quarter now for like the last 10 years . I just call BS

The most detailed analysis of analysts forecasts I've read in years. It cleverly creates a mystery of those analysts, they sound quite menacing in their anonymous grey mass lurking in the shadows. Nobody knows who they are, where they are, but their forecasts are broadcasted. And also the story ends on a cliffhanger - I mean, what happened to the analysts who was wrong in their forecasts? Were they fed to the lions, fined, or fired? All in all, a good read, but I'm not sure I would buy the sequel.

Do you trade stocks in the US? Because from the sound of it, you don't. It's pretty common for business news to report "analysts forecasts" in general. https://www.fidelity.com/insights/investing-ideas/6-stocks-that-share-the-wealth

There are plenty of firms that have their army of analysts lurking in the shadows analyzing all this data.

Lol Samsung and Apple selling 35 million phones every ten minutes. What a bunch of BS. I like how one says they did it and the other one says WE DID IT TO. Who one the planet does no have a cell phone by now? They are all excited about China being allowed to sell phones now. People over there make like .30 an hour I doubt they will buy phones. These companies have been selling 35 million phones a quarter now for like the last 10 years . I just call BS

Good logic... you don't understand how they could sell that many therefore it must not be true. This is the same reason I don't like computers. I really don't understand how electrons travel from the keyboard onto the screen and make the letters appear. Therefore it's not really happening and the words appearing as I type are clearly the work of supernatural powers.

There are actually a ton of people without smartphones. I work in information systems and multiple people (in their 20's!) still have a flip phone. Not to mention the entire baby boomer generation is still coming around. And maybe all those upgrade programs by the carriers are resulting in more new phones being sold. And maybe those lines around the block of the Apple stores are full of people who actually buy a phone when they make to the front.

It's not too hard to make a few billion when the markup on a phone is like 350%.

How many cars have we sold worldwide? How about tvs? Should be in the billions since we've sold them for the last 30-100 years, no? yet we are still selling them by the millions!

Consumer goods are manufactured go on their life cycle (new, used, recycled) and then get replaced/upgraded ... and the circle keeps on going.

There is over 7 billion people on this earth, 75% of which are 15 years of age or above. That's plenty of customers for any types of goods.

From family and friends many people that use iDevices must sell their old one and buy the latest one even if the old one is only months old. They know this because they buy the old version for cheap and get a useable device for way less cash.

Snip< Therefore it's not really happening and the words appearing as I type are clearly the work of supernatural powers.>snip
WTF??? Now you tell me!
All I know is my computer science prof. told me the secret to the computer is in those little black chips. They are full of smoke, and once you let the smoke out you are FUBAR'd

Back