Apple to build massive solar farm to power Reno data center

Shawn Knight

Staff member

apple reno data center renewable energy solar farm

Apple is planning to build a massive solar array near its Reno, Nevada, data center that will eventually be used to power the facility. Cupertino is building the array in conjunction with NV Energy, the utility company for the region, according to a report from All Things D.

The project is in line with Apple’s continued efforts to power their facilities with renewable energy. If you recall, the company announced plans to build a similar solar farm in Maiden, North Carolina, to power another data center. The facility will join others, like the manufacturing site in Cork, Ireland (powered completely by wind) that are powered entirely by renewable energy.

In a statement on the matter, Apple said all of their data centers use 100 percent renewable energy and the new Reno data center is on track to meet that goal. In addition to supplying energy for the data center, Apple said they will also provide clean energy to the local power grid through a first of its kind partnership with NV Energy.

The solar farm will encompass 137 acres and generate roughly 43.5 million kilowatt hours of clean energy. It’s the equivalent to taking 6,400 passenger vehicles off the road per year, Apple noted. What’s more, the facility is expected to directly and indirectly create some 1,000 new jobs in and around Washoe County and over the course of 10 years, result in $24.1 million in direct and indirect revenue for Nevada.

Permalink to story.

They are building solar-panel farm in Cork???!!! In the place of eternal darkness??? They must have lost it completely. It is pissing here in Ireland almost 80% of time, and barely shines when it doesn't. Solar panels in Ireland is like installing a wind mill inside a building...

Yep, it's a whole new "shine" on efficiency....

Read the article, they say Cork is power by wind, solar panel are going into Nevada (Desert) where the sun shine a lot.

They are building solar-panel farm in Cork???!!! In the place of eternal darkness??? They must have lost it completely. It is pissing here in Ireland almost 80% of time, and barely shines when it doesn't. Solar panels in Ireland is like installing a wind mill inside a building...

You apparently misread it. Cork is powered by wind, the others are powered by solar.

Read the article, they say Cork is power by wind, solar panel are going into Nevada (Desert) where the sun shine a lot.

I did read the article. The author added the part about wind mills after I posted my message. Otherwise, I'm low on sugar today...

The Cork facility is wind.

It?s the equivalent to taking 6,400 passenger vehicles off the road per year, Apple noted.
No, Apple, it's the equivalent to not putting 6,400 new vehicles on the road per year. In order to be the equivalent of taking them off the road your panels would have to be producing negative pollution. I.e. actually cleaning the air. I know, I know... A penny saved is a penny earned and all that... I don't mean to nitpick, it's still a good way to power a data center.

This is such a crock of s h I t. All the waisted space. Why can't this be part of the building roof. Can't these solar panels be incorporated in all the houses and buildings and all the cover tops in the whole city. We would never loose power to anything in our life. Instead we see stupid stuff like this and Apple wants a medal for the great idea of waisting land. They are so setting the trend here. Lets cut down trees and make the amazon forest a big solar panel farm.

This is such a crock of s h I t. All the waisted space. Why can't this be part of the building roof. Can't these solar panels be incorporated in all the houses and buildings and all the cover tops in the whole city. We would never loose power to anything in our life. Instead we see stupid stuff like this and Apple wants a medal for the great idea of waisting land. They are so setting the trend here. Lets cut down trees and make the amazon forest a big solar panel farm.

For a manufacturing farm like one in the article it is a matter of security, and ventilation, not to have panels on the roof. In addition, the roof simply doesn't have enough space to accommodate all the panels required to feed the farm with enough electricity.

And they deploy panels on the ground that's not much more than a wasteland.

In all, what you published sounds like thoughtless rant.

Does the Cork wind farm power Apple's corporate tax haven facility?
They strangle locals with higher tax, while making extra wind on that one (how do you like them apples?) They call it Irish Luv, arseways. And I happen to have to live with that...

So they put it in Reno where it was 115 degrees yesterday. Why not put it in Illinois where I live where they would have automatic air conditioning 9 months of the year? They wouldn't need an array that size.

Alternative & renewable power sources are always of benefit to mankind but why do we find ourselves having to resort to these methods in the first place? Because the earth is way over populated and, that's why. Building these huge, space wasting solar array's and wind farms are one thing but what else are we destroying to accomplish this. Eventually we are going to destroy ourselves with our so called ingenuity. Remember, just like the oceans do, the earth reclaims the space we take from it.

Back