Apple Watch ban comes into effect in the United States (halted for now)

DragonSlayer101

Staff
What just happened? The US government has officially banned the import of the Apple Watch Series 9 and Watch Ultra 2 over a patent dispute regarding their new blood oxygen sensor. The ban came into effect on Tuesday, December 26, after the Biden Administration declined to veto the US International Trade Commission's (USITC) decision to restrict the wearables.

Update: Apple has flexed its corporate and legal muscle, managing to secure a temporary halt in the legal dispute concerning its Apple Watch, as an appeals court on Wednesday decided to delay the previously implemented ban that started on Tuesday. The court has given the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) until January 10 to reply to Apple's plea for an extended suspension as the case continues to unfold in the judiciary, per the court's decision.

In a statement, the Office of the United States Trade Representative said that "after careful considerations," Ambassador Katherine Tai decided not to reverse the ITC's decision that called for a blanket ban on the import of the Watch Series 9 and Watch Ultra 2 in the US. In anticipation of the ban going into effect this week, Apple halted online sales of both devices from its US website on December 21 before stopping in-store sales a few days later.

The sales freeze on the new Apple Watches was ordered by a US court earlier this year after medical technology company Masimo successfully claimed that Apple's light-based pulse-ox sensor infringed its patents. The ruling was upheld by the USITC in October, and was automatically sent to the White House for a 60-day presidential review window, which ended on December 25. With the Biden administration choosing not to intervene, the ban came into effect the next day.

While the ban is a major setback for Apple, the company is not taking it lying down, and has appealed the ITC's decision in the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. As reported by Reuters, the company asked the court to suspend the ban, at least until the US Customs and Border Protection decides whether the watches infringe on Masimo's patents.

In a media statement, an Apple spokesperson said that the company "strongly disagrees" with the USITC decision and is taking "all measures" to get the two devices back on store shelves as soon as possible. On the other hand, a Masimo spokesperson hailed the ban as "a win for the integrity of the U.S. patent system, and ultimately American consumers."

The way things are right now, Apple's only real chance to get the two watches unbanned in the US is for the Federal Circuit to overturn the USITC's decision. If that doesn't happen, Apple will be left with no choice but to settle with Masimo to get its products back on sale. Meanwhile, it is worth noting that the sales ban only applies to the US currently, so Apple fans in the rest of the world don't have anything to worry about, at least for now.

Permalink to story.

Everyone who wants one already got one. This does almost nothing to Apple. In order to do anything it should have gone into effect immediately, not some 60 day review of the ban. All that did was warn everyone that they have 60 days to buy it.

Did the series 9 even sell that well? I see the SE typically sell better cause it's cheaper.
I rarely see the Ultra even sell. I think only certain stores even sell it.

Wonder when stores will pull them as I saw a series 9 sold on Tuesday at a store.

I'm surprised this didn't settle, or maybe it will shortly. Even if this patent holds up, Apple probably holds dozen of other patents that Masimo could at least be accused of infringing, generating legal expenses that are trivial to Apple but could bankrupt Masimo. Better to take a small windfall at minimal legal expense than go to a war that lawyers might win but to the client will just be a huge legal bill and headache.

All of this an example of why our patent system is kind of crazy.

I'm surprised this didn't settle, or maybe it will shortly. Even if this patent holds up, Apple probably holds dozen of other patents that Masimo could at least be accused of infringing, generating legal expenses that are trivial to Apple but could bankrupt Masimo. Better to take a small windfall at minimal legal expense than go to a war that lawyers might win but to the client will just be a huge legal bill and headache.

All of this an example of why our patent system is kind of crazy.
They bought Masimo's engineers which could be one of very strong arguments in Masimo's favor in court.

Update: Apple has flexed its corporate and legal muscle, managing to secure a temporary halt in the legal dispute concerning its Apple Watch, as an appeals court on Wednesday decided to delay the previously implemented ban that started on Tuesday. The court has given the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) until January 10 to reply to Apple's plea for an extended suspension as the case continues to unfold in the judiciary, per the court's decision.

"a win for the integrity of the U.S. patent system, and ultimately American consumers"
I'm not sure how American consumers win from this though I can see how lawyers will have a field day.

""Apple will be left with no choice but to settle with Masimo"" Or just buy them with the largest stockpile of liquid cash on the planet outside of big oil cash surplus.

This is how Apple operates. They don't innovate - they steal. Then when the people who own the rights to what was stolen came after Apple, Apple tries to bankrupt them in court. They'd rather pay $100 million in legal bills than $75 million in compensation. They do this all the time and are worse than Edison when it comes to stealing ideas and claiming them as original.

Back