Apple wins patent case that could affect future Samsung devices

midian182

Staff member

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit ruled on Thursday that Apple should have been awarded an injunction barring Samsung from selling products that infringe on the iPhone maker’s patents.

In May 2014, a lower court denied Apple an injunction against Samsung after a jury ordered the South Korean company to pay $120 million for violating patents for the iPhone’s slide-to-unlock, autocorrect and data detection features. The Washington-based appeals court reversed this decision in a 2-1 ruling. It said that Apple’s proposed injunction is narrow because it does not want to ban the devices from the marketplace and that the patented features can be removed without a product recall.

"Apple does not seek to enjoin the sale of lifesaving drugs, but to prevent Samsung from profiting from the unauthorized use of infringing features in its cellphones and tablets," the court said. The case was sent back to a federal district court in San Jose, California, to reconsider the injunction.

It does seem that Apple’s win may be largely symbolic; Samsung told the court it had ceased selling nearly all of the products that were originally at issue in the case such as the Galaxy S2 and Note 2. It also said it could design around the features, meaning the ruling is unlikely to have much of an impact on Samsung’s business.

“We will pursue our rights to have the full Court of Appeals review today’s decision. We want to reassure our millions of loyal customers that all of our flagship smartphones, which are wanted and loved by American consumers, will remain for sale and available for customer service support in the US,” Samsung said in a statement.

Samsung had received the backing of some of Silicon Valley’s biggest players, including Facebook, Google, Dell and HP, in its patent infringements battle with Apple. The companies worry that the final outcome of the case could have far-reaching implications when it comes to patent violations in complex devices such as smartphones. It’s also thought that Apple could use an injunction on newer Samsung devices if they believe them to infringe on the patents at issue.

Permalink to story.

I still think this bickering between them is childish. It is my opinion that they both have earned the right to use whatever features they want in a cell phone. These suits should be kicked out the day they are filed regardless of what they are. These phones are based on two completely different OS ecosystems, they both have their group of followers. Nobody cares about anything else?

Apple prices start to crawl into $1K, while Chinese Android devices with Galaxy S3-S5-ish performance and specs can be found off-contract for under $200 outside US. It will end-up with Apple monopoly in US, with prices starting with $1K, and rest of the World powered by Chinese Android, with similar usability, starting at $100. And that's generally a good thing. More equal distribution of wealth.

Last edited:
I still think this bickering between them is childish. It is my opinion that they both have earned the right to use whatever features they want in a cell phone. These suits should be kicked out the day they are filed regardless of what they are. These phones are based on two completely different OS ecosystems, they both have their group of followers. Nobody cares about anything else?
My sentiments exactly.

Yes, very well said.

That is why I hate apple as a company. They will do everything to stop innovation so that they can earn more.

"It does seem that Apple’s win may be largely symbolic; Samsung told the court it had ceased selling nearly all of the products that were originally at issue in the case such as the Galaxy S2 and Note 2. It also said it could design around the features, meaning the ruling is unlikely to have much of an impact on Samsung’s business."
Misleading title, any effect on future products.

That is why I hate apple as a company. They will do everything to stop innovation so that they can earn more.
Totally agree mate. Shameful that the leader of the mobile device market is so greedy. Shameful.

I am switching over to Windows 10 mobile as soon as it is released. I had enough of Apple. Love the products but unfortunately I have experienced some ridiculous things in their products that cost me hundreds of dollars and loads of wasted time.

Apple prices start to crawl into $1K, while Chinese Android devices with Galaxy S3-S5-ish performance and specs can be found off-contract for under $200 outside US. It will end-up with Apple monopoly in US, with prices starting with $1K, and rest of the World powered by Chinese Android, with similar usability, starting at $100. And that's generally a good thing. More equal distribution of wealth.

I think part of the problem here is also contract pricing artificially driving up the price on these devices. It's kind of like insurance. If you use insurance, the bill to the insurance company is usually higher than if you paid without insurance.

Apple suing Samsung, but who sues apple from stealing from CYDIA and all the hackers and programers all the features they stole from them and Apple now calls them innovations; all updates from all IOS are stolen from Cydia, and besides apple hires all hackers from the jailbreaking community. Apple is full of it, their devices are way over priced, just look up the parts over at amazon and you can put together an iphone for less than $150 and that is retail price. I could go on for days on telling about apple, I call it CrApple. and by the way I own an iPhone and fix them for a living. only reason I use apple I get it for free a gift from costumers.

I think part of the problem here is also contract pricing artificially driving up the price on these devices. It's kind of like insurance. If you use insurance, the bill to the insurance company is usually higher than if you paid without insurance.
If you look at insurance being an issue. Then you have to ask what is wrong with Apple products requiring the use of insurance more frequently than any other phone. If insurance is a driving force in the iPhone having higher prices, that is a negative statement to the quality of an iPhone. That's negative PR no Apple user wants to acknowledge much less read about. To be honest I'm not an Apple user and I still don't want to believe that is the case.

Apple suing Samsung, but who sues apple from stealing from CYDIA and all the hackers and programers all the features they stole from them
no one... the devs of cydia tweaks generally don't patent the feature so they don't really have the right to sue apple...

Back