AppleCare+ now allows unlimited device repairs, but is it worth it?

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In context: AppleCare has evolved quite a bit over the years. When it was first introduced, it was more or less a two-year extension of your typical one-year warranty for a relatively fair one-time payment. It recently received a slight name change (AppleCare+) and moved to a subscription-like service, making it more like an insurance policy than an extended warranty.

In the last few months, Apple has made another change to the AppleCare+ (AC+) program. Customers now have unlimited repairs. MacRumors notes that Apple recently changed its AC+ product page to show the new conditions. Previous AppleCare+ plans only covered two incidents per year. Of course, the same service fees still apply.

Whether or not unlimited repairs add value to an AppleCare plan is debatable depending on your situation. Monthly rates vary by device and model; the cheapest is $2.50 per month for coverage on an Apple Watch SE. The iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max plan cost the most at $13.50 per month. However, that also includes loss and theft coverage. All subscriptions have slight discounts for purchasing multiyear coverage in a lump sum.

These prices are relatively reasonable, especially for those prone to accidents. However, there are also fees attached to each claim. Shattering a screen or the back glass has a $29 "deductable." Other accidental damage runs $99 and making a loss or theft claim bumps the cost to $149. Also, loss and theft are still only covered for two incidents per year. Most plans are relatively reasonable for peace of mind considering repairs out-of-pocket can run hundreds of dollars in most cases.

However, if you are more careful, the plans lose their value, especially on any form of Mac. Mac coverage is charged either annually or for a term of three years at a discount. Prices range from $35 per year for the Mac mini ($99 for three years) to $150 per year ($399/3yr) for a 16-inch MacBook Pro. Deductibles are also a bit higher, with screen and casing damage running $99 and anything else costing $299. There is no theft or loss coverage for computers.

The most valuable coverage would arguably be AppleCare+ for the Apple Watch Ultra. It is only $5 per month ($99/yr) with a $79 service fee. For an $800 watch, that's a reasonable price for the piece of mind it brings, especially considering that a single repair will run almost $500 as MacRumors noted. Plus at only $5 per month, it would be a long while (160 months) before your premiums exceed the cost of your Watch

Apple also markets the Ultra to those with more active and adventurous lifestyles. If you snorkel or scuba and don't trust the Apple Watch Ultra's WP100 rating, you might consider grabbing an Apple Care+ package.

The bottom line: Overall, unlimited repair claims are not going to add any more value to the plans for most people. If you are careful and have never broken an iPhone (or other Apple products), AppleCare+ is probably not for you. However, it might be worth considering if you have lost or damaged a device more than once, especially considering repairs and replacement prices can put a big dent in your wallet these days.

Permalink to story.

Low enough to hook them before raising the price later. I'm sure there will still be horror stories related to this.

All of these years I have constantly avoided any of the insurance plans offered on God knows all the devices I've owned. I was also offered an insurance plan on a once piece trash can ..... amazing. In any case I have only had once incident that was not insured. Granted, I do take care of all of my things but I would conservatively say that I have saved thousands of dollars by avoiding these gimmicks and don't plan to change .....

Why would you need repairs if Apple devices never break? What ever happened to their "it just works" claims? Also, since they expect you to buy a brand new Apple device each year this seems like a waste of money.

That reminds me, I live in Canada so I need to buy some volcano insurance and some of that fancy elephant repellent I keep hearing about.

Except special (industry/business) cases - say you're geologist and walk up and down the mountains/cliffs/caves every day then yeah AC+ is a worthwhile investment. There is high degree of actually damage being done.

For posh iSheep-losers who never got a honest job in their lives - yeah AC+ is good investment, because its from Apple, so it has to be awesome. Parting stupid with their money is any corporation MO since forever.

For normal folks, AC+ is total waste of money. Any and all insurances are just daylight robbery. Especially now AC+ is ludicrous idea considering the strength of the $ and inflation pressure. It's enough that product is ~30% (15% inflation + 15-20% from currencies value lost vs USD) more expensive outside US (without taxes), no need to add another worthless, over-inflated AC+ to the basket.

Why would you need repairs if Apple devices never break? What ever happened to their "it just works" claims? Also, since they expect you to buy a brand new Apple device each year this seems like a waste of money.

That reminds me, I live in Canada so I need to buy some volcano insurance and some of that fancy elephant repellent I keep hearing about.

It is more appropriate to call AppleCare+ accidental damage insurance as opposed to an "extended warranty". Of course, nobody buys products intending to break them within a year or two, but the whole point is that accidents happen, sometimes through no fault of the user (e.g. tripping while holding the phone), and AC+ is intended exactly to address that.

In fact, the Apple hate is slightly amusing, because no other manufacturer (laptop or phone) offers such a comprehensive suite of accidental coverage, and typically at much higher cost, yet we don't hear anyone complaining 🤔

Except special (industry/business) cases - say you're geologist and walk up and down the mountains/cliffs/caves every day then yeah AC+ is a worthwhile investment. There is high degree of actually damage being done.

For posh iSheep-losers who never got a honest job in their lives - yeah AC+ is good investment, because its from Apple, so it has to be awesome. Parting stupid with their money is any corporation MO since forever.

For normal folks, AC+ is total waste of money. Any and all insurances are just daylight robbery. Especially now AC+ is ludicrous idea considering the strength of the $ and inflation pressure. It's enough that product is ~30% (15% inflation + 15-20% from currencies value lost vs USD) more expensive outside US (without taxes), no need to add another worthless, over-inflated AC+ to the basket.

Well good thing it is optional, no? I don't see anyone forcing you to buy it, nor is it even remotely necessary to use the device properly. Providing more options has never hurt (particularly ironic because Apple typically does not like giving consumers the choice). You'd be better off complaining about rising housing prices or poor public transport options or insanely high healthcare costs or literally anything that actually affects people

No reason to get this in the E.U , UK , Aus or NZ - consumer law will cover breakdowns for probably quite a few years if consumer pushes it hard. Then accidental breakage , theft is covered by premimum home & contents - that just leaves wear and tear - get a case , glass screen protector for some of that .

It is more appropriate to call AppleCare+ accidental damage insurance as opposed to an "extended warranty". Of course, nobody buys products intending to break them within a year or two, but the whole point is that accidents happen, sometimes through no fault of the user (e.g. tripping while holding the phone), and AC+ is intended exactly to address that.

In fact, the Apple hate is slightly amusing, because no other manufacturer (laptop or phone) offers such a comprehensive suite of accidental coverage, and typically at much higher cost, yet we don't hear anyone complaining 🤔
I have a friend who has lost or damaged multiple phones on fishing trips. lol He's a Samsung customer though.

It just works was refferring to their OS vs MS. Anyone who has ever paid attention to Apple know they can n do have issues just like any other OS that has ever been made.
Apple have had various issues with tablets, phones, air pods n macs. Nothing is infallible.

Got to love the Apple hate around here, that's for sure. In my case and my brother's, they've been great. AppleCare+ even replaced an iPhone for my brother outright because of a situation in which a rather large rock landed on his phone during a military training accident leaving the phone completely and utterly broken.

He walked into the Apple Store, showed the phone to them, they asked him if he was OK (yes, he was), and he walked out that same day with a new phone in hand. Yes, he had to pay a small fee but that beats buying a whole new phone.

Back